Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss old solar panel in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hello! I have been given and old solar panel and I want to use it to charge up my leisure battery while I'm away in the van. I have no idea about what connections or cable I need for it. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
+ is positive. - is negative. with the panel connected and in sunlight, you should read >12V on these 2 terminals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for the reply. I don't suppose you could tell me what I need to but to get it up and running? I was just given the solar panel nothing else. Sorry I have no idea about all this stuff

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
all you have shown is the base. is that on the back of the panel?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
on the pic. you have terminals marked + and -. those are your output. there's a bit missing from the +.

yes there is. Do you no what the piece thats missing is called I need to buy? and do I just buy cable with MC4 connections on the end?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
basically, use antyhting that will fit.

SparkySy

-
Arms
Tel is right there is a socket connection missing for the + connection. You could probably adapt something to fit, but I would look on eblag for solar pv connector due to the amps that could go through it in full sun with a heavy load on. ( depending on how big it is and it's output)
You will probably need some cable and a charge controller as well to make it all work!

cheers for the reply! Ye I no there's a + socket connection missing can I not just buy one? If not how could I adapt something to fit? I have a charge controler on its way I bought it before I took the back off and realised one of the conections wasn't there! Any advice is good I'm new to all this solar business.

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to old solar panel in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom