Discuss old style wireable CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nmginn

Im newly qualified but haven’t come across a house wiring as old as this one and would appreciate any advice you can throw my way,

House is approx. 80 years old and still has original CU fitted, couple (friends) don’t want to start thinking about rewire etc at their stage of life, but my main concern is to make the outside wiring attached safer than I think it is at the moment.
Old style CU with wireable fuse carriers, all carriers are labelled 5 amp but have different fuse wire used depending on circuit. Reason for this was they haven’t changed the carriers in all the years they have lived there and all socket circuits initially ran from 5 amp fuses, they found problems when they started using more modern electric heaters etc years back. thankfully has the savvy to remember to use appropriate fuse wire rather than just fitting 5 amp like the carrier suggests.

Radial Circuit to garage
2.5 cable although in 5amp carrier has 15amp fuse wire used and runs as a radial to firstly a double socket upstairs and then from there runs outside to garage. Approx. 30ft run of cable.
Circuit goes to a very old style wireable fuse carrier with 15 amp fuse wire, from there 2.5mm cable runs to a junction box where 2.5mm is again connected and runs off as another radial to two double sockets. From same junc box 1.5mm cable is also used to run off to two internal lights and a further 3 outside security lights.
So as it stands they have a lighting circuit and a socket circuit attached on same circuit from main CU with an inline 15 amp fuse carrier box and then also protected by a 15 amp in main CU.
My initial idea was to at least install a new garage CU with a 6amp MCB for lighting circuit and a 16amp MCB for the sockets but doubting that now.
yes the outside fuse is lower rating rather than higher thankfully but they are looking at buying a freezer and possible tumble dryer to use in garage and I have concerns that current circuit will cope.
Any advice please would be appreciated

I would at least carry an EICR on the place first ,if its 80 years old the wiring may be in rubber sound like a rewire is on the cards

a continuity & insulation test is advisable here....

together with a thorough inspection....

dont forget...that anything you modify/extend (and this includes adding points/accessories)..needs to be proven as being good for continued service....

Im newly qualified but haven’t come across a house wiring as old as this one and would appreciate any advice you can throw my way,

House is approx. 80 years old and still has original CU fitted, couple (friends) don’t want to start thinking about rewire etc at their stage of life, but my main concern is to make the outside wiring attached safer than I think it is at the moment.
Old style CU with wireable fuse carriers, all carriers are labelled 5 amp but have different fuse wire used depending on circuit. Reason for this was they haven’t changed the carriers in all the years they have lived there and all socket circuits initially ran from 5 amp fuses, they found problems when they started using more modern electric heaters etc years back. thankfully has the savvy to remember to use appropriate fuse wire rather than just fitting 5 amp like the carrier suggests.

Radial Circuit to garage
2.5 cable although in 5amp carrier has 15amp fuse wire used and runs as a radial to firstly a double socket upstairs and then from there runs outside to garage. Approx. 30ft run of cable.
Circuit goes to a very old style wireable fuse carrier with 15 amp fuse wire, from there 2.5mm cable runs to a junction box where 2.5mm is again connected and runs off as another radial to two double sockets. From same junc box 1.5mm cable is also used to run off to two internal lights and a further 3 outside security lights.
So as it stands they have a lighting circuit and a socket circuit attached on same circuit from main CU with an inline 15 amp fuse carrier box and then also protected by a 15 amp in main CU.
My initial idea was to at least install a new garage CU with a 6amp MCB for lighting circuit and a 16amp MCB for the sockets but doubting that now.
yes the outside fuse is lower rating rather than higher thankfully but they are looking at buying a freezer and possible tumble dryer to use in garage and I have concerns that current circuit will cope.
Any advice please would be appreciated

From what you are describing, it's at this stage of your friends life, that electrical safety becomes essential. This house installation is already sounding like a death trap just waiting to happen!!

Unfortunately you can only give your best advice, you can't make them take heed and bite the bullet by having an essential rewire and an upto date enhanced protection CU etc. Bit like the horse and water thing. ..lol!!

I would at least carry an EICR on the place first ,if its 80 years old the wiring may be in rubber sound like a rewire is on the cards

thanks for the reply thankfully at some point it has been rewired as pvc sheathed but cores old style red/black and yes a think a full test of the system is in order before i do anything more. Once tested i personally think that a new CU is in order at least before i go any further.

yes many thanks for this i think that i need a further discussion with them on this one, i can appreciate that dont want the upevil of a total rewire and it may not need it but definitely needs at least a new CU and the wiring to outside updated really dont like the way it has been done at the moment. am i right in thinking that they still sell plug in MCB's so at least i can run a new circuit to outside from the old CU to a new garage CU and make the outside circuits safer that way.??

just make sure any supply u run to garage has rcd/rcbo installed at source.

After 80 years of additions and alterations, and from what you're describing, i don't think there is much doubt about the need for a complete rewire. the minute you start disturbing that old wiring will be the start of experiencing problems, that's almost a guarantee... If this installation has a Wylex 3036 CU, it won't be the original fuse box, they came in around the early 1950's...

Don't assume anything, let your test equipment and a thorough visual inspection give you the all important answers, that you then need to share with your elderly friends....

yes going with your advice thank you going to do full test first and go from there, as for sharing with my elderly friends its one elderly to another lol just started late

many thanks for all your help

From what you are describing, it's at this stage of your friends life, that electrical safety becomes essential. This house installation is already sounding like a death trap just waiting to happen!!

Unfortunately you can only give your best advice, you can't make them take heed and bite the bullet by having an essential rewire and an upto date enhanced protection CU etc. Bit like the horse and water thing. ..lol!!

yep...

Horse:....4 points of contact...

Water:....need we say more...?

yes going with your advice thank you going to do full test first and go from there, as for sharing with my elderly friends its one elderly to another lol just started late

many thanks for all your help
IR and R2 (method 2)....

dont waste time with (R1 R2)...not necessary....

go for a loop...Ze....then a Zs at all points served (to prove polarity)....

watch out for edisson screw fittings that are reverse polarity wont you...

whats the cutout here by the way?

After 80 years of additions and alterations, and from what you're describing, i don't think there is much doubt about the need for a complete rewire. the minute you start disturbing that old wiring will be the start of experiencing problems, that's almost a guarantee... If this installation has a Wylex 3036 CU, it won't be the original fuse box, they came in around the early 1950's...

Don't assume anything, let your test equipment and a thorough visual inspection give you the all important answers, that you then need to share with your elderly friends....

i would still rcd with swa in a garden environment and not under the control of skilled person

You don't have to bother with all that - it's being laid over a flat roof!! (sorry pepparz, tried to resist but I am a bad man) :)

Reply to old style wireable CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock