Discuss Old switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alonzo

I've been asked to install some old brass light switches,they obviously don't comply with bs7671,where would I stand if I made up my own switches out of the old plate and modern Dolly's,there's no earth lug on plate,and the plate won't fit modern box,is there anywhere that flogs this antique stuff,I must admit the switche are real craftsmanship and better than This ****e availiable today,so is there somewhere that reconditions this stuff.

Period Pattresses

Are another one and a bit cheaper. I have no regs book to hand but out of curiosity is there anything against soldering a proper earth connection to them?

Although changing, soldering and getting things to fit may just end up more time consuming than just buying new

Hi there, I've had this exact problem on a job and I used a SELV transformer 12v via a 12v coiled relay. Bingo bango bongo!
Obviously this is alot more expensive than buying new but some old craftsmanship is worth saving.

Hi there, I've had this exact problem on a job and I used a SELV transformer 12v via a 12v coiled relay. Bingo bango bongo!
Obviously this is alot more expensive than buying new but some old craftsmanship is worth saving.
He beat the drum and shouted house six years back....

I made one of these switches work for my dad, I was going to use SELV and run low voltage though the switch to a relay, but the old switch contacts where not reliable enough to always close., So in the end I made a little plastic & metal linkage which pushed a modern micro switch mounted in the back box behind a surround plate and the old brass switch, so the brass switch has absolutely no electrical connections inside, the switching is all done in an earthed back box with a modern switch, (almost like a car gear linkage)

bit involved but its a very nice old switch

Reply to Old switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net