uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss old timey bending block in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sibbits

sibbits

-
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

any one know how to make/use an old school wooden conduit bending plank?

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Aico 3000
J

Julie.

Esteemed
Arms
Not sure what's old-school about it, it's a useful technique for bending any pipe etc when you haven't got a bender/former to hand.

Just the right sized hole through a piece of wood, if you have a round rasp - take the bottom edge off the hole approximating the radius of the bend, it helps.

I have used it for the odd time when we couldn't be bothered getting the bender out - especially for the odd plumbing job (although you need an internal spring for copper pipe)

Pete999

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Not sure what's old-school about it, it's a useful technique for bending any pipe etc when you haven't got a bender/former to hand.

Just the right sized hole through a piece of wood, if you have a round rasp - take the bottom edge off the hole approximating the radius of the bend, it helps.

I have used it for the odd time when we couldn't be bothered getting the bender out - especially for the odd plumbing job (although you need an internal spring for copper pipe)
I used an EXTERNAL BENDING SPRING for Refrigeration pipework

westward10

westward10

Mod
How I was originally taught never saw a purpose made bender for years.

U

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Straight hole same size as conduit, to be bent

Away you go
I was taught at college that the hole in the wood had to be 1½ to 2 times larger than the conduit you were bending to avoid it jamming in the block, used that method loads of times with no problems

trix

trix

-
I used to have one in the 70's for 20mm. Drill the 4x2 ( 6" from the top ) a straight 25mm hole. With a 20mm tube heated with a blow torch, manipulate up and down to make formed soft edges. Ideal for awkward bends and also dressing many tubes in parallel.

Vortigern

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
I also use one of the above sometimes.

7029 dave

7029 dave

-
Mentor
Arms
I used a wooden block once years ago, you still need a vice for threading and cutting, might as well get a hilmor conduit bender.
Remember that old vice had a wooden foot plate years old ha ha.

U

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
I also use one of the above sometimes.
I've got a 20mm and 25mm of a similar design. They are a handy bit of kit for the odd bit of conduit on a job

Reply to old timey bending block in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
Top Bottom