Discuss old trip switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hospital

Hi fellas, been to look at a job this afternoon where whenever the lady plugs in her hoover the old trip switch trips,its one of those old brown ones with the yellow switch.its not a fault on the hoover because i plugged mine in and it tripped again,is it because the switch is getting tired or what? would the best thing be to do away with the switch,you know as in replace the tails or what,any advice would be gratefully received i did suggest a cu change but there a bit strapped for cash as they are pensioners(i only went round to put up an outside light)
thank's Pete.

If this device has an earth connection, it's a ELCB, and needs to be replaced as a minimum with an RCCB Its a ''voltage operated'' earth leackage circuit breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering at first if they were refering to one of those plug in (replaces a re-wirable fuse) type of MCB at first, but then I noticed the reference to tails?

I was wondering at first if they were refering to one of those plug in (replaces a re-wirable fuse) type of MCB at first, but then I noticed the reference to tails?
Ah fair point spin, thats what i thought ,reason i asked what rating was i had this fella who had just passed his 17th part p two week course and had the same problem turned out all his sockets were on a 6A MCB!

Hi all,The switch has no earth connection and the installation is tn-c-s the property dates from 1978 if thats any help,just to say i have only just qualified as an electrician and some things you come across you have never seen before,this being one of them.
Thanks,Pete.

Hi all,The switch has no earth connection and the installation is tn-c-s the property dates from 1978 if thats any help,just to say i have only just qualified as an electrician and some things you come across you have never seen before,this being one of them.
Thanks,Pete.

Posting a picture often helps identify things much easier!

Posting a picture often helps identify things much easier!

Agree entirely, If you guys come across something that you have never seen before, and have no clue what it is or does, ...POST A PHOTO, and 9 time out of 10 all will be revealed, by someone here on the forum!! ...lol!!!

Reply to old trip switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net