Discuss old underground wires ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ktnwin

DIY
Reaction score
I have an outlet outdoor, supported straight up by a galvanized pipe. It has only black and white wires, no ground. The galvanized pipe is extremely rusted and breaks exposing wires inside the pipe !!! On top of that, it has no electricity either.
Please note my home is ~40 yrs old.
I tracked it down this outlet (and pipe) comes from an exterior junction box in front of my garage which contains wires without electricity. For some reason, there is no electricity going into this box. I know the Romex cable that is supposed to carry electricity here but it could have been cut on the attic.
So I disconnect the connection to this outlet from the junction box, and the pipe going in this box. the pipe now contains 2 wires that serve nothing with a large part underground. The outlet has been cut off and removed from the pipe.
Here is my question: do I have to remove the unused pipe of the ground ? OR I can just leave it there.
I appreciate any advise on this.

More info: the junction outside my garage uses to feed some lights in the front yard landscape. These lights are no longer used and replaced by solar charged LED lights. This box is useless for me.
Question: should I remove this box or just leave it there ?

I have an outlet outdoor, supported straight up by a galvanized pipe. It has only black and white wires, no ground. The galvanized pipe is extremely rusted and breaks exposing wires inside the pipe !!! On top of that, it has no electricity either.
Please note my home is ~40 yrs old.
I tracked it down this outlet (and pipe) comes from an exterior junction box in front of my garage which contains wires without electricity. For some reason, there is no electricity going into this box. I know the Romex cable that is supposed to carry electricity here but it could have been cut on the attic.
So I disconnect the connection to this outlet from the junction box, and the pipe going in this box. the pipe now contains 2 wires that serve nothing with a large part underground. The outlet has been cut off and removed from the pipe.
Here is my question: do I have to remove the unused pipe of the ground ? OR I can just leave it there.
I appreciate any advise on this.

More info: the junction outside my garage uses to feed some lights in the front yard landscape. These lights are no longer used and replaced by solar charged LED lights. This box is useless for me.
Question: should I remove this box or just leave it there ?
Since you have cut it loose I would just leave it in the ground and cut the pipe as close to the ground as possible. Good luck

Since you have cut it loose I would just leave it in the ground and cut the pipe as close to the ground as possible. Good luck
I have my electrical license in Florida and there is no requirement for having to remove the old electrical pipe in the ground

I have my electrical license in Florida and there is no requirement for having to remove the old electrical pipe in the ground
but leaving it there could give the moles a problem trying to dig through it. ??

Thanks so much for all advises. These make me feel good about that pipe.
The reason that the J-box outside the garage has no electricity its ROMEX cable has been cut off on the attic. I can see a long section still stapled to the joist. I verified it is the one. I doubt that I could remove it as part of it is inside the wall that goes from attic to the J-box and I have no access to this part. There is a big joist blocking human access to that area.
I need to move on with my next question: what should I do with that unused cable ?

Thanks so much for all advises. These make me feel good about that pipe.
The reason that the J-box outside the garage has no electricity its ROMEX cable has been cut off on the attic. I can see a long section still stapled to the joist. I verified it is the one. I doubt that I could remove it as part of it is inside the wall that goes from attic to the J-box and I have no access to this part. There is a big joist blocking human access to that area.
I need to move on with my next question: what should I do with that unused cable ?
Since you know that it’s not live or can be made live I would install wire nuts on the cable and just abandon it

Since you know that it’s not live or can be made live I would install wire nuts on the cable and just abandon it
Thanks for the suggestion. That is pretty easy to do. I already put the wire nut on the wires in the J-box. I need to do the same on the other end (in attic). However, does the other end need to be inside a J-box (to be added) ? I guess that it has to.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is pretty easy to do. I already put the wire nut on the wires in the J-box. I need to do the same on the other end (in attic). However, does the other end need to be inside a J-box (to be added) ? I guess that it has to.
By code yes each end needs to be in an box

Reply to old underground wires ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net