Discuss Old wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jodeyodoe

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there, I’m confused about old wiring and the setup in the home my mother lives in. I’m trying to fix a few things at her request and not ?. The home was built in 1932 and seems to have old wiring. She’s trying to get the wiring for the switch to the basement lights, which is currently in the kitchen to turn the basement lights on. It seemed the light switches were daisy chained in the kitchen (one cable wire going to kitchen light and other switch and separate cable wire coming up from basement). The old push switches were quite daunting so I put a new switch in place but decided to wing nut the old wire going to switch for the basement. Now the basement lights won’t turn on of course. My question is, can I daisy chain the cable wire from switch to the cable running from basement to get power down there? Then add a switch from the light? Any info would go a long way! ?

Attachments

• Old wiring help 228FDA81-6E86-40A6-89D1-9E7BDF41A53D - EletriciansForums.net
    228FDA81-6E86-40A6-89D1-9E7BDF41A53D.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Old wiring help 7E6332A0-604B-4511-A0E6-679D676754B4 - EletriciansForums.net
    7E6332A0-604B-4511-A0E6-679D676754B4.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Old wiring help 1CB4B543-B885-438D-9A3C-5EB94D9E0A8F - EletriciansForums.net
    1CB4B543-B885-438D-9A3C-5EB94D9E0A8F.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Old wiring help B2D0B3E4-B977-4AB9-8A00-B6E9A6DBD6E0 - EletriciansForums.net
    B2D0B3E4-B977-4AB9-8A00-B6E9A6DBD6E0.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17
lokking at that wiring, I think your problems go beyond changing switch/es

Hi there, I’m confused about old wiring and the setup in the home my mother lives in. I’m trying to fix a few things at her request and not ?. The home was built in 1932 and seems to have old wiring. She’s trying to get the wiring for the switch to the basement lights, which is currently in the kitchen to turn the basement lights on. It seemed the light switches were daisy chained in the kitchen (one cable wire going to kitchen light and other switch and separate cable wire coming up from basement). The old push switches were quite daunting so I put a new switch in place but decided to wing nut the old wire going to switch for the basement. Now the basement lights won’t turn on of course. My question is, can I daisy chain the cable wire from switch to the cable running from basement to get power down there? Then add a switch from the light? Any info would go a long way! ?
The first picture shows both old push switches. I removed the left switch to the basement which the bottom wire hit both switches(left and right). Top wire from the left was wing nut shut. I want to get power to the basement still but not with a switch. So can I join the bottom wire that went to the basement switch and kitchen light to the wire coming from the basement light?
[automerge]1581847959[/automerge]
This is a general question if you know how to follow and read, sur.
[automerge]1581848041[/automerge]
The kitchen light new switch works fine. I just need to understand the basement part I removed the switch for in the kitchen. The kitchen is on main floor. The basement is below the kitchen..

I would recommend you do not interfere with that wiring too much it looks well past its reasonable service life. I would suggest getting an electrician in to give a verdict on its safety.

I would recommend you do not interfere with that wiring too much it looks well past its reasonable service life. I would suggest getting an electrician in to give a verdict on its safety.
You can’t answer a question either? I thought help could be found at a forum. Not this one... funny how it’s only a wiring question too. Nobody can even mention a voltage meter and how to check. Home Depot and Lowe’s employees gave me better information. Lame ohhhhmmms

you have had good advice in posts #2 and #4. if you choose not to follow advice, it's your funeral.

Did the basement light work previously before you changed the wiring. The advice given is for your mother's safety, the electrics in her property from the pictures you have shown would appear to be long overdue an upgrade. Interfering with the existing wiring may well be detrimental to her safety.

you have had good advice in posts #2 and #4. if you choose not to follow advice, it's your funeral.
Y’all aren’t helping at all. Deterring from the question/s. Like you believe I’m going to do something stupid because you’ve told me nothing. This is Not rocket science. But obviously you couldnt direct anyone to test
Something out and know how to teach them. I’ll just blame you when I die.
[automerge]1581849774[/automerge]
Did the basement light work previously before you changed the wiring. The advice given is for your mother's safety, the electrics in her property from the pictures you have shown would appear to be long overdue an upgrade. Interfering with the existing wiring may well be detrimental to her safety.
Yeah. It worked fine. But I removed the bottom wire which was the only one touching both switches. I capped it off and same with the one coming from the basement.

you could try connecting the wires that went to the old switch together. then the basement light should be on permanent. might even improve your attitude. I'm out.

Theoretically if you have joined the two wires from the switch together it should function. The problem is as previously stated is the wiring is well beyond its reasonable service life and you may well have caused damage to the fragile wiring.
Insulting members on here who are considering you and your mothers safety is not going to help.

Theoretically if you have joined the two wires from the switch together it should function. The problem is as previously stated is the wiring is well beyond its reasonable service life and you may well have caused damage to the fragile wiring.
Insulting members on here who are considering you and your mothers safety is not going to help.
Jody you need to listen to these guys. This forum is for us to help you but you have a terrible attitude. The best advice is to call an electrician to straighten out that mess and we cannot give a DIY answers because you wouldn’t know what we was talking about anyway and you could possibly burn down your moms house. Remember that you came to us not the other way around and your mouth has nobody wanting to help. Come back when your attitude changes

Reply to Old wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock