Discuss old wylex board in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

ukpablo

quick dilemma, bathroom fitter i work with just informed me that the quick rcbo changeover for a light in bathroom is an old metal wylex fuseboard in a cupboard for a flat. im pretty sure that u cannot get rcbo for these boards................i maybe wrong?..........it has the mcb conversion, but that is it?
any suggestions apart from changing board as this is too much for the client.
ie, an rcd FCU to protect bathroom? also, where can i put this as there is no attic?
never done this before either.

No RCBO for those old boards. Happens everytime to me this one does.

In the past I have comer off the lights as you say with an RCD fused spur, but you have to watch how your cable supplying this is run as it won't be RCD protected. Or you could stick the entire circuit on a stand alone RCD, and just hope that when you test the circuit you don't find any supprises.

what stand alone rcd do u use?
so the cct comes out of the c/u into the stand alone rcd for entire cct?

i would suggest taking the circuit out and putting it in a seperate rcd unit and supply that but to be honest a board change would be best to cover all the circuits with rcd protection that need it

what stand alone rcd do u use?
so the cct comes out of the c/u into the stand alone rcd for entire cct?

Any that on offer at the wholesaler, usually its a brand that are called Europa

If like most of my jobs and cost has been screwed down, then it usually works out cheaper to use a stand alone RCD than to add another CU.

i would suggest taking the circuit out and putting it in a seperate rcd unit and supply that but to be honest a board change would be best to cover all the circuits with rcd protection that need it

not an option..................will cost too much for just a new light fitting..............customer has ruled this out, otherwise i would put in new board as option 1. cheers anyway

BG boards with 10 mcb's and 2 rcd's are only ÂŁ40 plus VAT, hardly gonna break the bank for the client.

will when you add labour, testing etc, etc. question here is,,, is it just a like for like light replacement?

all sorted chaps, just run it through an RCD FCU for cct into bathroom. changing the board meant changing tails, 30 meter run as its a flat..................real nightmare etc, im in the mindset that buying the board is never the big cost, its the labour & testing that goes with it, improving bonding etc etc, and the customer always never sees these upgrades when giving your price, and like i said, she only wanted a new light to go with her new bathroom!! so i gkept it to the simplest and most cost effective option, with the reccomendation that a new board for future upgrades to flat must be a consideration.

thanks all for ur input, much appreciated as im still learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries pablo, way to much red tape in this trade. With customers not want to shell out money, then all you can do is make the work the safest possible.

Reply to old wylex board in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock