Discuss Old Wylex Cartridge Fuse for Light AND Power = 45Amp in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lozzy73

Ok, my flat was built in about
1960, it has a very old wylex fuse box for which the fuse for the heating and
power is one switch. The lights have blown but I still have power.

In
the past when the fuse has blown the power and lighting has been lost so
therefore the fuse has not blown this time...just the lights.

Am
guessing this is a wiring issue for the lights (still on red and black)??

Has anyone come across this before?

Fuses in the box: 1 main
fuse switch, 1 for light and power, 1 for heating (not used), 1 for water heater
(econ 7).

Obviously need someone to come in and have a look at it but am I safe to use the power (no lights) until they do?

i would imagine that there is a sub- CU somewhere for the lights. have come across this on installations prior to 1950/60.

Do you think it could be a wiring issue then for the lights? Have never come across another fuse at all unless it's buried deep within the fuse box.

The weird thing is that the kitchen light (furthest away from the fuse box) blew today after I switched it on (but immediately after I switched off the fridge-freezer in the kitchen).

Just a bit worried about using anything in flat in case it causes a surge.

Impossible to give advice without more info, as said above your best option is to get a qualified sparky in.

As Nicholas said can you post a picture please?

Do you have any unidentified boxes high up on the wall? probably painted over??

Don't wish to worry you but it sounds like your flat could do with some testing to check it over too, given the age. It may be OK but better to be safe than sorry.

You say the kitchen blew - what do you mean? it went bang?

If so I am thinking that you may have a 2nd fuse board like others has said - from the OP title - 45A - you would NEVER put a 45A on lighting or a socket circuit (unless its 4mm ring - I doubt highly)

If it did go bang - stop everything and call an electrician out!

There are several on here from London so take advantage to that! Good luck!

Reply to Old Wylex Cartridge Fuse for Light AND Power = 45Amp in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock