Discuss Older members, what do tou get up to? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title suggests, for those of us who have retired, or cut back on their working practices, taking into account drinking smoking and unrelated activities.
Myself I have become a volunteer for Age UK, although nothing much has come my way just yet, I have also expored the possibility of becoming a, wait for it, don't jump down my throat just yet, an Apprentice Smart Meter dual Service fitter, which I await a reply with anticipation, (as Tel would say Age is just a number) I'll keep you all posted, if you are interested.
It would be nice to know if there are any like minded Codgers out there who would like to share their twilight fantasies, Memories, anecdotes they would like to share, I myself have penned an article about my life as an Electrician, for which I am awaiting advice about publication, so if you oldies have some stories please share them on the Forum.

Think you might know Pete, I semi retired 5 years ago. I somehow thought it would be a good idea to return to the job I did 30 odd years ago, but just limiting myself to domestic work. Big mistake. Domestic properties have lofts packed with crap & insulation, electrics have been attacked by kitchen fitters & DIY'ers, and customers who expect you to do the work for peanuts. As a consequence. I drink more, have no time for any exercise, and spend most of my time on this forum asking for advice. Should of carried on working.

I too thought about writing my memoirs, only to keep the brain active. On a depressive note, I've probably only got another 20 barbecue summers ahead of me, if I'm lucky. Who said you should look forward to retirement, and I'll punch his lights out, figuratively speaking. :)

I often think back to when in London at I guess about 20 I attended a Martini executives house to change a socket. I was greeted by the wife. She was resplendent in her negligee, blond and nubile, and offered me a drink (at 10 o clock in the morning!) I declined. She took me upstairs to the bedroom and sat on the bed with her drink in a reclining fashion watching me work. I noticed there was hand cuffs on the bed posts and was puzzled. I asked why they were there. I was informed it was for "fun" Couldn't understand that for the life of me. Anyway I put the socket in (now now!) got paid and went on my way. It was only years later I realised how I missed something important there.

I often think back to when in London at I guess about 20 I attended a Martini executives house to change a socket. I was greeted by the wife. She was resplendent in her negligee, blond and nubile, and offered me a drink (at 10 o clock in the morning!) I declined. She took me upstairs to the bedroom and sat on the bed with her drink in a reclining fashion watching me work. I noticed there was hand cuffs on the bed posts and was puzzled. I asked why they were there. I was informed it was for "fun" Couldn't understand that for the life of me. Anyway I put the socket in (now now!) got paid and went on my way. It was only years later I realised how I missed something important there.

So you were stirred but not shaken. :)

I have taken up a couple of new hobbies, I usually work for 4 days then take 4 days off, I have my caravan which will get some stick in the spring and summer, and I like air gun target shooting, I am just about to buy a new gun actually as well. I like wildlife and photography as well, plenty to keep my mind active, the internet is slowly going from my life now, a browse 2-3 times a day for 10 mins is usually all I do now, except today that is, spent about an hour on line today.

Reply to Older members, what do tou get up to? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net