Discuss Omron plc cpm2a in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You might regret saying that see how many of them there are.

Fire away
hi than you for the response the plc is CPM2A
having never used a plc before had a few issues on starting and stopping the program , have worked that one out OK. my new problem is the plc i am using has a program in its memory and auto loads and runs OK
not able to remove old program with clear memory or run a new program i get error SETTING UM ALLOCATION
i have looked at the setting and have released write protection and tuned off anything that indicated write protection but still the same problem . the new program is only one input driving one output just as a test
the monitor say no error , i can switch input and the output comes on . but when you load program you get the error above .
Fire away

Omron plc  cpm2a DSC02052.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

You have kind of jumped in at the deep end with this one especially as you have no plc experience, there are many modern systems with simplified programming, computer based testing software so you can test your program long before loading up and with a logic block building system, far simpler than the ladder system which is now becoming old hat.
If you can tell us what method your programming in (logic block or ladder) and what kind of programs you are creating, I could probably post you a link to free PLC programming software which allows you to create and test your programs before you download to a PLC, you have a testing module there often used for proving functionality of a program, if you are then sucessful in writing your program you can then downlod it and run your plc while your program monitors it in real time thus watching your program onscreen as it works in the real world.

Hi Julian.

What software are you using currently to program this PLC? Cx programmer?
yes i am using cx programer 9.4 spent all day just reading the manual looks like the problem with the (um) was
all the protection boxes ticked so all gone , memory clear my test program loaded and works OK, all be it very simple ,so now have the most important part sorted can work on making a useful program . i have lots of plcs of different manufacture but this one have many so that is the reason for this one . just using ladder logic the RSlogic plc will have to do later

You have kind of jumped in at the deep end with this one especially as you have no plc experience, there are many modern systems with simplified programming, computer based testing software so you can test your program long before loading up and with a logic block building system, far simpler than the ladder system which is now becoming old hat.
If you can tell us what method your programming in (logic block or ladder) and what kind of programs you are creating, I could probably post you a link to free PLC programming software which allows you to create and test your programs before you download to a PLC, you have a testing module there often used for proving functionality of a program, if you are then sucessful in writing your program you can then downlod it and run your plc while your program monitors it in real time thus watching your program onscreen as it works in the real world.

DW ladder is in no way antiquated, in fact it is still the most common format of PLC code. Yes it's a little more to look at than STL, SCL or Logic blocks.

Most modern PLC's convert all types of written programming into 'machine code' when compiling for a download.

DW ladder is in no way antiquated, in fact it is still the most common format of PLC code. Yes it's a little more to look at than STL, SCL or Logic blocks.

Most modern PLC's convert all types of written programming into 'machine code' when compiling for a download.

Agree its still used widely as there are plenty out there who were brought up with Ladder etc but as technology advances and the PLC is more user freindly and common place it's started a trend to simplify while expanding on the options available. Nowadays even micro plc's in Function Block Diagram (FBD)contain options that are very complex if at all possible using ladder and would take advanced programming and knowledge to program where now it can be replicated in FBD by drag and drop of a function block.

On the larger control systems I must agree they are still many compiling them in Ladder but I have slowly seen a trend to move to FBD and expecially for the smaller PLC.

I use FBD all the time and the options micro-PLC's have now compared to 5 years ago are way more advanced, and with the different brands competing for the same space there is alot of investment in FBD, yes its not antiquated but IMHO that comes with a 'yet' close behind it.
Just to add, I know people been using ladder all their careers and they are migrating to FBD too given the simplicity, speed and advantages of simply following your design in a simulation mode that is visually easy to follow.

Reply to Omron plc cpm2a in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock