Discuss On-Site Event Generators in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ross Flight

Hello Everyone,

I am after a bit of advice, which I am sure to you guru's is simple but to someone who has absolutely NO ideas on electrics, I am calling on your help.

I am looking to use 20 x Electrolux W555H Washing Machines & 20 x Electroluc T5130 Dryers and need them to be powered by generators.

W555H Tech Guide: http://tools.professional.electrolux.com/Mirror/Doc/ELS/PDS/PS_438919421EN_W555H_EN.pdf

T5130 Tech Guide: http://tools.professional.electrolux.com/Mirror/Doc/ELS/PDS/PS_438913961_T5130_EN.pdf

With the information in the links above, would you be able to give me a quick idiots guide to what size generators I would need to power the machines, would I need 2 separate generators to power the along with what sort of cable distribution that I would need.

Look forward to your thoughts and replies!

Cheers,

Ross

The specs of the washers/dryers will have a current rating on them, possibly in amps, or kilowatts.
Add them all up, then just ring up the generator supplier and tell them you are going to be running 20 machines with a combined ampage/wattage of (say) 120 amps/3000kw.
Explain how you expect them to work - are they all going to be on at the same time, or just a few working etc, they can then balance out the need for total power required - a great big generator will run them all the time no problem, but will be expensive, a smaller one will be cheaper, but would not be able to run all at the same time apart from in short bursts.
See what they say.

Assuming you want the whole lot to run at once, and that you are using the highest powered models in their three phase mode and that there is no other load to be supplied then I would suggest a 200kVA generator set would do the job.

For the temporary power distribution you will working under the requirements of BS7909 in conjunction with BS7671,
The basic requirements will be a reliable connection to earth via an earth electrode, a main distribution unit with a main circuit breaker incorporating adjustable RCD protection. Depending on exact site layout and available distribution equipment you may (will) need further distribution units to give you the required number of 16A TP&N&E outlets. Each appliance will connect via an H07-RNF extension lead.
RCD protection at 30mA should be provided for the final circuits (unless operational requirements prevent this when alternative protections methods will need considering) ideally individual to each circuit but never for more than six circuits per single RCD.

Obviously the above is all based on some huge assumptions on my part, if you provide more information about the job maybe I can be of more help

Hello Everyone,

I am after a bit of advice, which I am sure to you guru's is simple but to someone who has absolutely NO ideas on electrics, I am calling on your help.

I am looking to use 20 x Electrolux W555H Washing Machines & 20 x Electroluc T5130 Dryers and need them to be powered by generators.

W555H Tech Guide: http://tools.professional.electrolux.com/Mirror/Doc/ELS/PDS/PS_438919421EN_W555H_EN.pdf

T5130 Tech Guide: http://tools.professional.electrolux.com/Mirror/Doc/ELS/PDS/PS_438913961_T5130_EN.pdf

With the information in the links above, would you be able to give me a quick idiots guide to what size generators I would need to power the machines, would I need 2 separate generators to power the along with what sort of cable distribution that I would need.

Look forward to your thoughts and replies!

Cheers,

Ross
this is relatively simple so if you don't understand it then I'd seriously recommend that you just appoint a company who does to provide both the generation and distribution requirements. Otherwise you're going to come a cropper one way or another, and your events insurance will be invalidated if you've done the specification or installation yourself when you're not competent to do it.

CONN47-wf0.jpg
CONN45-wf0.jpg

This is the sort of distro kit you should be using for events stuff, but seriously please get in a professional.

Reply to On-Site Event Generators in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net