Discuss One Light Flickers When Another Is Switched Off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, as the title suggests i have recently replaced a circular fluorescent ceiling light in my bedroom, however the problem is this....

Whenever we turn the fluorescence ceiling light in my bedroom off the wall lights in my living room flicker once, literally just one flicker. No other lights in the bungalow that are on do this just the living room wall lights(led bulbs).

I am stumped, if anyone have any thoughts or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

Hi Peter and Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry to hear about flickering lights. Can you say a bit more about the situation? What was the previous bed light, why replaced ?

Hi, as the title suggests i have recently replaced a circular fluorescent ceiling light in my bedroom, however the problem is this....

Whenever we turn the fluorescence ceiling light in my bedroom off the wall lights in my living room flicker once, literally just one flicker. No other lights in the bungalow that are on do this just the living room wall lights(led bulbs).

I am stumped, if anyone have any thoughts or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter
Is the lamp you changed in your bedroom seated properly in it's holder? is the lamp in your living room a fluorescent fitting as well? sorry just noted it's an LED.

Welcome to the forum.
A fluorescent starting will take a high initial current as a very short peak, this will briefly drop the supply voltage.
There are then two options: that the LEDs bulb stop when the voltage drops because the light output can be very obvious with changes in voltage though they should be able to work at a wide range of incoming supplies. That there is a loose connection to the living room lights that fails as the demand changes and causes a higher voltage loss to the lights over the high resistance joint.

Welcome to the forum.
A fluorescent starting will take a high initial current as a very short peak, this will briefly drop the supply voltage.
There are then two options: that the LEDs bulb stop when the voltage drops because the light output can be very obvious with changes in voltage though they should be able to work at a wide range of incoming supplies. That there is a loose connection to the living room lights that fails as the demand changes and causes a higher voltage loss to the lights over the high resistance joint.
Was aiming at that myself, but beaten to it by a quicker brain.

Hi, many thanks for the replies so far.

The previous bedroom light was also a fluorescent light, the new one is virtually like for like for the old one. We replaced as the old one started flickering even after changing out the bulb etc.

It was replaced just after new year and have only just made the connection between one light being switched off and another one flickering last night.

Coincidentally, since writing the original post this morning the missus has just flicked the switch on the power shower and the main box has tripped. Connected or just a coincidence???

Could be a faulty connection in the light you changed, you would be well advised to get an Electrician to take a look, tell him/her what you have told us so far, good luck.

Do you have seperate 5A/6A Fuses/MCBs
upstairs ,downstairs circuits ?
...leds are very sensitive to voltage changes .
(I threw a cheap one out that flashed bright at turn off- poor design)

I was just going to ask that! When I switch the study light off, one of the bedrooms light goes out then the brightness ramps up to where it was again (Varilight VPro dimmer).
Neighbour had an issue where if they turned the lights on in the bathroom the lights in their sons bedroom would dim then return to normal, failing or non compatible dimmer as when I took the dimmer out and shorted the cables it worked fine, reminds me they are meant to be getting a replacement as I will be swapping it over.

Hi Peter,
I take it this flicker happens when the wall lights are on do they flicker if in the off position as I have been to jobs where the LED GU10's flicker after being switched off. Also, what cap/base are the LED lamps in the wall lights?

Reply to One Light Flickers When Another Is Switched Off in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock