Discuss One of those easy jobs that’s turned sour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Add a few sockets to existing install....holiday cottage. partition walls, back to back with other sockets. First one went without problem. Onto number 2.
Plug in socket and see to identify mcb..... buzzes constantly.... off, off, off..... hmmm. Not on any of these socket circuits? Turned off whole board. Still buzzing!
Might be off this other board marked “shower”?
Nope. Still buzzing.

How the heck???

Ok, homeowner.... where’s the meter box?
Outside? Ok.

Opens up to find this.

78B4891E-0225-44ED-BF3A-E3648F1923F9.jpeg

Circuit marked “sub main” is the entire rest of house...
the 20A supplies the socket in question, and another I found behind the sofa. (2 radials from one OCPD)
Cover off, just for photograph.

98120AFA-4D8B-45C2-9288-ED2E0A44BD87.jpeg

Blimey.

Red tape round a black cable and black tape round a red cable. That’s a t&e supplying the house db.
Tails supplying this don’t look substantial enough imho.

I also need to add rcd protection to the circuits I’m working on.
Guest plugs something in, trips the RCBO outside in the meter box.... needs the triangle key to get in to reset.

I’ll suggest rewiring those sockets back to the house db and do away with the meter box crap.

I suppose it was wired to 15th edition where supplementary RCD protection was not required if you were installing a back to back you could have fitted an RCD socket but I don't think it now complies.

Reply to One of those easy jobs that’s turned sour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

In a property with two consumer units one for the ring main etc., and the other for the 1970s storage heaters (storage heater CU looks like it’s...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Been browsing these forums for a while, always great to learn a new way to skin the same cat. Anyway, cut a long story short, was an...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hello All and happy new year. Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster here. Straight down to it.. A friend asked me to add some sockets and additional lights to a small...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock