Discuss One off rewire / Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am not Part P registered as i work in commercial environment doing testing and inspections and currently our firms Qualifying Manager. But i am time served electrician, trained with Electricity Board as was and been qualified and experienced for 20+ years. I have a gold ECIS card as Approved Electrician. Now i know all this makes no odds whatsoever on the Part P malarky, but need your expert advice.

I dont do domestic work or certainly not since Part P arrived, but my brother has just bought his first house on a shoestring budget that needs some work! When i say shoestring i really mean no chance of paying a contractor! So muggins here volunteered to rewire the house for him etc at no cost family and all that (well he'll owe me! haha) but stupidly i agreed all this before i actually remembered Part P..!

So, whats my best option and how do i go about it? I dont mind getting registered for Part P, but what does it involve? I dont run my own business or have any previous jobs to assess and whats the cost or time scale to get on a scheme? OR is it easy to just get another sparky or firm to do the cert when i finish or is that a no-no? And final option, is the council inspect my work etc after, but no idea what that costs or where to start? Had a look at building control pages on site and totally confused, it lists several prices some for competent and some for non-competent. But not even sure which i am, well i know im competent of course, but in the "terms" am i? Daft really when my job is inspecting installations myself far more complicated than a 4bed house!

Appreciate advice here?

If you can prove to the LABC that your suitably qualified, you can get a planning consent to do the work (approx £200 round here), that then includes a sparky the check the work on first and second fix, then they will accept a relevant 17th cert from you, However different LABCs do have different systems in place

Choices are as follows:-

1. Register with NICEIC or similar but will cost you £300+ and you'll need to be trading and have projects to get full scope registration.

2. Submit Building Regs application to the LA and get them to supervise approve the work. Probably £200 plus.

3. Get a Part P reg Electrician to sign of your work if you can.

4. Ignore the above and go ahead. Not an option!!!

Regards

But strictly speaking your not allowed to get another firm to sign off your work on a part p basis, however people do, most firms won't do it because it leaves them legally responsible for other people's work, but it could slip you through the net

Do the rewire and get a another electrician to do an EICR. This will usually satisfy the LABC. Thats what they tell folk to do if there "electrician" has done a runner without leaving the certs. Not the right though but its cheaper than paying LABC and its not as if your not qualified. Just out of interest....could you not fill out an EIC and slip it through the firm you work for, without them knowing?????

- - - Updated - - -

Too quick for me trev..lol

Sadly a guy did an EICR on the companies amtech last year and he got fired..! eek
Not sure we Part P registered as never seen any domestic work, although we do certify pubs sometimes, not often.?

If you're NICEIC AC then the company will be able to notify, if you ask the boss what's the worst he can say? He's not going to fire you just for asking.

From what I,ve seen lately I,d just get on with it and sod part p,put it this way if I do any work on my house it,s gonna be a case of "part what?". Since I retired I,ve seen so much crap work by so called part p sparks it,s unreal,examples are as follows.
Cables not run in safe zones,
terminal block used on lights and pushed into ceiling void,
taped joints on cables,
cables not clipped in lofts,
joint boxes under chipboard floors and therefore innaccesible,
no sleeving on earths,
no grommets on back boxes.
The list goes on,incidentally a lot of these were on diy programmes that spout on about the importance about using a registered spark.
The best one was my sons council house where the cu was labelled up incorrectly.
if this is the standard of work carried out by so called registered sparks the I for one am glad I,m out of it.

New Part P rules means that you should be able to get a registered third Party sparks to complete an EICR and notify the job through building control.

Its all here on the planning portal part p http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf look at page 9.

So the next question - do you know any Part P sparks who will do this for you to save you money on LABC fees?
There are no third party registration schemes in place at the moment so that would not be an available or legal option.

The talk to the right people at your LABC and explain your competence and that you will supply the EIC for the work, they (may) be nice and accept this.

hmmmm. you could install it and then do an EICR. you don't need to be registered with a part p scheme to do EICRs.

New Part P rules means that you should be able to get a registered third Party sparks to complete an EICR and notify the job through building control.

Its all here on the planning portal part p http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf look at page 9.

So the next question - do you know any Part P sparks who will do this for you to save you money on LABC fees?

You can't do this that moment because its a "self certification scheme", and when you register said installation you pay over an insurance backed warranty fee on the work carried out, The cert company will not underwrite repairs to work done by any Tom dick n Harry you wrote a certificate for

Wire away my man and then cert it yourself, you will not have a problem as will not come under build regs and I expect your bro will be there years and if he does move will be asked for a EICR and you will give him one, job done (this is what I am thinking btw not what I would do)

Wire away my man and then cert it yourself, you will not have a problem as will not come under build regs and I expect your bro will be there years and if he does move will be asked for a EICR and you will give him one, job done (this is what I am thinking btw not what I would do)

Really? I have been tempted to just get on with it and do a Completion Cert ? Bad move?

yes get on with it you do not need a scheme to tell you what you already know. Its your brothers house so not like an unsuspecting customer.

Reply to One off rewire / Part P in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net