Discuss One or 2 RCD's? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am currently running around the country completing remedial work on the back of EICR's and have came up with a confusing pair of C2 faults as listed below:
Observation: Incorrect IP protection for accessories located in close proximity to a sink - WH Switch Needs Replaced - Corrision and Badly Rusted
Regulation: 512.2.1

Observation: Absence of RCD/RCBO protection for accessories located in close proximity to a sink
Regulation: 415.1.1
Now? How would I go about this to tick off both C2's.
My thoughts are to place an RCD at the source of the circuit + the switch needs replaced anyway so put a RCD-fused spur on.
Or would the RCD at the source be enough?
Or would the RCD-fused spur be enough?

The circuit in question feeds a small over-sink water heater in a unisex toilet. It would have very little use, the main building itself would only be accessed maybe once a month.
The earthing to the the accessories througout the building is all fed from steel conduit/trunking, overcurrent protection is from BS88-2 fuses.

Any thoughts?

The rcd would be at source to protect the entire circuit, cable and water heater.

Close proximity to a wash hand basin isn’t actually a reg. only special locations “containing bath or shower”
Toilets can have normal accessories, doesn’t have to be IP rated.

The rcd would be at source to protect the entire circuit, cable and water heater.

Close proximity to a wash hand basin isn’t actually a reg. only special locations “containing bath or shower”
Toilets can have normal accessories, doesn’t have to be IP rated.
Thanks littlespark.
A single RCD at the source of the circuit does make more sense with a simple fused spur fitted for the water heater. I believe the corrosion has happened over the years simply because the building is left unoccupied and unheated for weeks at a time.

One way would be to employ someone with a bit more understanding of the regs to produce a new EICR.
That said, fitting an RCD is a worthwhile additional safety feature.
I am stumbling across some seriously confusing C2's on these sheets! I will dig through the EICR's and start new threads for them.
I believe I will be a daily visitor to the electricianforums!

I am stumbling across some seriously confusing C2's on these sheets! I will dig through the EICR's and start new threads for them.
I believe I will be a daily visitor to the electricianforums!
Please do so.

1. You’ll be educated in the nuances of EICR coding and how one mans C2 is another’s C3
2. We like a good laugh

So, the rules of the forum.
no swearing, photographs please and end as many posts as possible with monty python quotes

I am currently running around the country completing remedial work on the back of EICR's and have came up with a confusing pair of C2 faults as listed below:

Now? How would I go about this to tick off both C2's.
My thoughts are to place an RCD at the source of the circuit + the switch needs replaced anyway so put a RCD-fused spur on.
Or would the RCD at the source be enough?
Or would the RCD-fused spur be enough?

The circuit in question feeds a small over-sink water heater in a unisex toilet. It would have very little use, the main building itself would only be accessed maybe once a month.
The earthing to the the accessories througout the building is all fed from steel conduit/trunking, overcurrent protection is from BS88-2 fuses.

Any thoughts?
get spellcheck installed for starters

Just reread the OP.

what was the coding for the bs88 fuses?

maybe string this out to a board change?

I take it this is a public building? You would think whoever owns it would want to ensure the safety of its users.
No excuse nowadays for still having fuses,

Just reread the OP.

what was the coding for the bs88 fuses?

maybe string this out to a board change?

I take it this is a public building? You would think whoever owns it would want to ensure the safety of its users.
This is a public building from a large nationwide company. And regards the fuses they are policy on all the premises. Even on 3phase circuits.

BS88-2 fuses are the industrial sort, intended for changing only by skilled persons (yes, sure...) as they come in a wide range of values for a given size.

I would agree that for final circuits in domestic properties or cases when non-skilled persons are expected to sort out the results of faults it makes no sense, but there are cases when fuses do make a lot of sense such a fault-energy limiting, or reliability from total selectivity with much smaller down-stream fuses.

I can't say I have ever seen a CU/DB with BS88-2 fuses, I guess a Ryfield board comes close, though "red spot" comes to mind from somewhere.

BS88-2 fuses are the industrial sort, intended for changing only by skilled persons (yes, sure...) as they come in a wide range of values for a given size.

I would agree that for final circuits in domestic properties or cases when non-skilled persons are expected to sort out the results of faults it makes no sense, but there are cases when fuses do make a lot of sense such a fault-energy limiting, or reliability from total selectivity with much smaller down-stream fuses.

I can't say I have ever seen a CU/DB with BS88-2 fuses, I guess a Ryfield board comes close, though "red spot" comes to mind from somewhere.
There are plenty of consumer units in use that utilise BS1361 fuses.

There are plenty of consumer units in use that utilise BS1361 fuses.
I think those are superseded by BS88-3 and had different physical sizes to try and reduce the chance of wrong fuses being put in as replacements (like the differing pin/blade size of the BS3036 rewirable ones).

I guess they were popular from 70s to late 80s when MCBs became cheap enough?

To me the biggest issue with the use of fuse in domestic setups are (a) they won't have spare cartridge fuses/wire, (b) if they do they will use the wrong size, and (c) the dangers of burns, shocks, and brown underpants trying to withdraw or insert a fuse with the board live (especially if under fault).

These premises do not have public access. Only skilled persons would get access but some would not be skilled in the electrical discipline

Reply to One or 2 RCD's? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net