Discuss One relay two horns? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

ralphyz13

Hello everyone,
I'm just wondering if I will be able to connect two horns both 15amps on one 30 amp relay but connected in parallel so I can operate the horns separately. So it'll be positive to the relay, then one switch to activate relay, with the two horns each with separate switches and then connected to negative. I would include a diagram but for some reason its not letting me upload it. Any help would be much appreciated!

(took me ages to figure out how to post a thread, new member an'all)

Will

Hi welcome to the forum.
I assume you are talking about car electrics here.
If the horns actually do take 15 amps each then a 30 amp relay may be a bit close to the wire, as if both run they may overload the relay. Usually the rating is the max the relay can take and in different circumstances they may be lower rated.
However 15A is very high for a car horn that can be as low as 1A.
Can't quite follow the wiring description but parallel from the relay outputs would be the way to go.

Awesome thank you and yeah it will be car electrics but I wouldn't operate the horns at the same time, I'll try and get a diagram up later on in the week hopefully it'll make more sense

Something like this?
One relay two horns? dual horn relay - EletriciansForums.net
Though you would need to select the horn you wanted to use first and if none were switched there would be no horn!
possibly a 1/2 selector switch for the horns would be better, this would avoid running both together but ensure one was always on.

Reply to One relay two horns? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock