Discuss One to confuse you all!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

axel132132

Right then this has now happened to me twice.. and ive not a clue whats going on so if anyone has had the same issue it would be good to see what causing it.

Anyways SO i have a 2G2W light switch upstairs and a 2G2W light switch downstairs.. I Wire them both correct.. Up have Brown from 3-core in Common, then black in L1 and grey in L2 and Live in in L1 and Live out in L2.. that controls the lights on the stairs..

Then i do exactly the same with the upstairs lights. Feed in, feed out L1 + L2 etc.. ok all simple so far..

NOW COMES THE CONFUSING BIT..

The stair lights are working fine on the 2-way wikid..
The LED spotlights in the celing dont work.. OK

SO i swap the cables, basically swapping the switch.. NOW the LED spotlights work on the 2-way but the stair lights dont..

OK so maybe the switch is broke.. Change the switch (TWICE still dosent work)..

Umm maybe i have a strapper down or something.. Bell out the strappers.. BELL OUT FINE.. ok now WHAT the hell is going on here??????? Switch is fine, strappers fine and if i move the strappers from one switch to the other it works so this proves that the Live IN to switch and the Live to the light works an that all the lamps are working..

any ideas anyone?

cheers

Right then this has now happened to me twice.. and ive not a clue whats going on so if anyone has had the same issue it would be good to see what causing it.

Anyways SO i have a 2G2W light switch upstairs and a 2G2W light switch downstairs.. I Wire them both correct.. Up have Brown from 3-core in Common, then black in L1 and grey in L2 and Live in in L1 and Live out in L2.. that controls the lights on the stairs..

Then i do exactly the same with the upstairs lights. Feed in, feed out L1 + L2 etc.. ok all simple so far..

NOW COMES THE CONFUSING BIT..

The stair lights are working fine on the 2-way wikid..
The LED spotlights in the celing dont work.. OK

SO i swap the cables, basically swapping the switch.. NOW the LED spotlights work on the 2-way but the stair lights dont..

OK so maybe the switch is broke.. Change the switch (TWICE still dosent work)..

Umm maybe i have a strapper down or something.. Bell out the strappers.. BELL OUT FINE.. ok now WHAT the hell is going on here??????? Switch is fine, strappers fine and if i move the strappers from one switch to the other it works so this proves that the Live IN to switch and the Live to the light works an that all the lamps are working..

any ideas anyone?

cheers

Where are you taking the "feeds" from?

Murdoch it sounds like the feed and switch wire are dropped from the lights via a T&E and then a 3 core between switches, so 5 cores at the switch one end and 3 at the other, may be a strapper on the wrong switch.

Yeh the feeds are to the switch so in switch have Feed in, Feed out, and then Switch out so 3 Lives and the Neutrals are connected in a Wago connector in the back.

I think all will become obvious when you sit down and draw a wiring diagram of what you would expect to happen and then compare it with what you have actually got.
I can't help thinking that it something very simple such as as voltz has described

take the live in, out of the switch, and put it in a wago. Add both switch wires. Lights should be permanently on. This will confirm the switch wires. Then you have a feed problem somewhere. Double check the linked commons in the switch, it can't be anything else.

And do let us know!

Yeh 2 x 3 cores.. we have had 3 electricians look at it now.. AND ITS A MISTERY!! No one understands why its not working.. the 2 way next to it is WIRED EXACTLY THE SAME ackbar.. and that works fine so its not the wiring thats wrong lol.. and yeh murdoch, i 2nd fixing everything.. everything second fixed power on to make sure lightings goes on.. umm 2way does nothing.. wont switch the light on or anything absolutely MENTAL

Yeh i did that voltz linked it all through and lights were on.. It is the worlds most craziest issue i think theres something paranormal about this switch o_O..?!

Yeh 2 x 3 cores.. we have had 3 electricians look at it now.. AND ITS A MISTERY!! No one understands why its not working.. the 2 way next to it is WIRED EXACTLY THE SAME ackbar.. and that works fine so its not the wiring thats wrong lol.. and yeh murdoch, i 2nd fixing everything.. everything second fixed power on to make sure lightings goes on.. umm 2way does nothing.. wont switch the light on or anything absolutely MENTAL

Sorry mate but I'm not sure that switching on the power before you've done the requisit dead tests is the right thing to do.

check your switch. Take it off the wall, put your continuity testers on them and operate the switch. Had a batch of double pole switches with broken neutral mechanism before now. I expect you have confirmed this already though. It's something simple though mate.

Yeh thats what i done just powered up to func test. Ill check that switch tomorrow then i didnt check i just assumed that 3 switches cant be faulty lol

Reply to One to confuse you all!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock