Discuss One Way Lighting Circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bane

Hello people.

Well, for my homework, I've been asked to research one way lighting circuits.

On google I've come across a number of sites and not many on wikipedia.

Anyway, seeing as how we haven't even covered lighting circuits at college yet I found this a bit poo. I digress, sorry.

Can someone please explain to me a one way lighting circuit in relatively simple terms?

Cheers.

Bane,

A one way light circuit is basically one switch to switch the light on.

A two way is where the are switches at different locations switching the light on.

You can also fit intermediate switch on the strppers so you can switch light on at three or more location depending how many intermediate switches are fitted.

Hope this helps you out.

May not get much info about switches on wikipedia as you will find it an American website.

Ah. Ok.

Very simple and the answer was quite easy too!

Thanks Ian.

Not understanding that diagram Spark-Doctor.

Phase=Live?
CPC= Earth?

Red sleeving indicates that the neutral becomes a live also?
If yes, then why red sleeving and not brown?

Explain please.

And to get you ahead of the others;)

One Way Lighting Circuit img011 - EletriciansForums.net

Sorry mate. It is a old picture. Look at this one ond all will be clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, got that thanks mate.

One thing. What's going on in the top right corner of the diagrams, where they are circled?

Explain please.

Sorry, but I like to know all the ins and outs, I can't just accept things.

The circle is showing the ceiling rose with the termination points.

Just to add. These pictures are showing the wiring in T&E. If you were to wire it in singles through conduit you would be able to run the correct color wiring and would not need the sleeving. The wiring diagram would be the same though.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanted to add another lamp to the circuit, just run another piece of T&E from the ceiling rose to another lamp. Connect the new neutral to the existing neutral. The new phase to the switched phase (the one with the sleeving and the new CPC to the existing CPC This is called the "loop in method"

Loop in method. Ok.

And the cable used is T&E 2.5mm? 1.5mm?

Phase is Live?
CPC is Earth?

Getting to grips with terminology too.

Loop in method. OK.

And the cable used is T&E 2.5mm? 1.5mm?

Phase is Live?
CPC is Earth?

Getting to grips with terminology too.

Generally lighting circuits are in 1.0mm T&E, socket circuits are in 2.5 T&E.

Try to get out of the habit of calling the Phase live and the CPC earth especially the later. They have different meanings as you will find out in the next few weeks

Thanks guys.

So in T&E you have:

Neutral
Phase
CPC = Circuit Protective Conductor (Earth sleeving?)

Correct?

Finally, in the diagram we'll have 1.5 going into the light fitting from the CU and 2.5 coming down to the switch?

Reply to One Way Lighting Circuit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock