Discuss One way of earthing the pipes..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was changing the consumer unit today and look how the previous person has earthed the main water and gas!
One way of earthing the pipes..... 20171113_105334 - EletriciansForums.net

I will give them 10 out 10 for ingenuity:confused:

Here's how it looked after i had finished.
One way of earthing the pipes..... 20171113_134702 - EletriciansForums.net

On a totally different job i was called out to i came across this fitted by a so called electrician.
One way of earthing the pipes..... 20171108_135012 - EletriciansForums.net
The bottom of the rcd is feeding straight out to the RFC.
How he thought that a 63amp RCD on it's own would comply with regulations is beyond me.I had to removed the enclosure and fit a larger one so that i could fit a 32 amp mcb next to the RCD as it needed.
The guy even charged £330 just to fit that unit!

It saddens me that cowboys like this get away with it and tarnish qualified electricians in the process.:mad:

That looks like a really good job. Amazing what some people do. Wonder if they are even electricians or just go under the title.

CPC came out of the bottom of the unit directly into the main earth bar.CPC was a single piece of 1.5mm green/yellow which then connected into the ring cpc's via a 15amp connector seen to the right of the photo.

Never been pulled before for tie wrapping the bonding wires and i've done it for numerous inspections before.What harm can it do.They aren't hot or don't move so i cannot see the problem?
The NIC did issue guidance on this very thing some time ago, I only have the BRB to hand so the reg number may have changed, but 528.3.3 (proximity to non-electrical services) basically states that where an electrical service is in close proximity to another service it shall be arranged that work on that service does not affect the electrical service. I suspect that is the reg that applies.

Not a criticism at all Bob but with the meter tails going in through the rear and not glanded I'd secure then with clips or small cleats.

Cheers mate.The tails are cleated at the back of the board before i fitted it so they aren't going anywhere;)

Is there a definite regulation about not tie wrapping bonding cables to the pipes anywhere?
I can understand not tie wrapping t&e cables but bonding cables?

Other services should not to be used to support our cables

Besides,what would your reaction be if he started strapping his pipes to any cables that happened to be handy instead of using his own clips for support :eek::)

I've a question based on OP photo of completed work. The new CU is installed on ply. I recently had my registration visit from my chosen CPS and the guy who came wants the CU I installed to be practically air tight.

I had a garage install with 2 x 2.5mm T&E and 1 x 1.5mm T&E installed down wall in trunking to CU. I channeled the wall out to allow back entry into the CU. The gap between CU and block wall is about 5mm. The inspector told me that it was not good enough and that I should be filling the gap with intumescent foam to prevent air getting into the CU and help fuel a fire.

Now I stood there sort of bemused and wanting to really argue it but thought for a second and asked about IP ratings of CU and if the front of the board should be sealed as the gaps between the MCBs would also be a violation. He was quite adamant about it and was stating that it all changed with amd 3.

Now OP has installed a CU on a flammable material, I wonder what my guy would have to say about that???

I've a question based on OP photo of completed work. The new CU is installed on ply. I recently had my registration visit from my chosen CPS and the guy who came wants the CU I installed to be practically air tight.

I had a garage install with 2 x 2.5mm T&E and 1 x 1.5mm T&E installed down wall in trunking to CU. I channeled the wall out to allow back entry into the CU. The gap between CU and block wall is about 5mm. The inspector told me that it was not good enough and that I should be filling the gap with intumescent foam to prevent air getting into the CU and help fuel a fire.

Now I stood there sort of bemused and wanting to really argue it but thought for a second and asked about IP ratings of CU and if the front of the board should be sealed as the gaps between the MCBs would also be a violation. He was quite adamant about it and was stating that it all changed with amd 3.

Now OP has installed a CU on a flammable material, I wonder what my guy would have to say about that???
your cps inspector is a dickwad.

The reg only states that the CU should be made of non combustible material, nothing else.

Reply to One way of earthing the pipes..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock