Discuss Online conduit tutorials in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Have a client who wants to have a go at putting in some conduit runs themselves, mostly for the challenge I think. Anyone found a good YouTube tutorial for this kind of thing thats in UK metric? Most I‘ve found so far are American imperial and thats just going to confuse and slow them down even more!

Your client could start here
and then follow some of the other links to build up some knowledge on the other parts of a conduit system

Perhaps it's an age/training thing, but the moment I see conduit being cut with a grinder....

The video gets stopped, or I walk away shaking my head from side to side vowing to get a professional company in on the next job...
I'd rather see a quick neat cut with a disc than a mangled attempt with a hacksaw!!

I'd rather see a quick neat cut with a disc than a mangled attempt with a hacksaw!!
To be fair, I have never seen a clean cut with a grinder, so wouldn't know; and a mangled attempt with a hacksaw would illicit the same "video gets stopped, or I walk away shaking my head from side to side vowing to get a professional company in on the next job..."

I agree with Julie, I always use a hacksaw to cut conduit even if there was a grinder lying beside me. However I have seen the younger generation walk all round the site looking for a grinder to cut a bit of 75mm tray when they have a hacksaw in their bag.

all you need is a bundle of conduit, bender, hacksaw, stock and dies. once you realise that you've paid out an arm and a leg for the conduit, practice soon becomes perfect. small return on the scrap.

I am amazed that we haven't adopted EMT which can be cut with a pipe slice, bent over a block and coupled with fittings that use a grub screw. NO faffing about with threading.

We really haven't moved with the times with conduits imo ,

I am amazed that we haven't adopted EMT which can be cut with a pipe slice, bent over a block and coupled with fittings that use a grub screw. NO faffing about with threading.

yeah but we're British, We don't accept sub-standards like wot the colonials do.

We did, much of the 50's wiring was done with very thin walled tube welded, or sometimes still split, too thin to thread; the bends, tees, boxes etc were clamped to the tube.

It was rubbish, and dropped pretty quickly I think.

It was similar but worse than slip conduit of the 40's

Last edited:
Perhaps it's an age/training thing, but the moment I see conduit being cut with a grinder....

The video gets stopped, or I walk away shaking my head from side to side vowing to get a professional company in on the next job...
Yep, how long does it take to cut conduit with a hacksaw seconds too, the new breed are just lazy.
Steel Gas pipe different story, much thinker so grinder fair enough.

Hope the client is prepared for a grave yard full of scrap metal conduit.
IMO this skill has to be taught, one to one, remember some guy telling me on here its only labourers work anyway.
The only tip I can give is when pulling sets leave plenty of length on the tube then cut to required measurement until gained confidence and mastered, I know it might be a bit wasteful on the tube, but better than having a complete wasted length.

Hope the client is prepared for a grave yard full of scrap metal conduit.
IMO this skill has to be taught, one to one, remember some guy telling me on here its only labourers work anyway.
The only tip I can give is when pulling sets leave plenty of length on the tube then cut to required measurement until gained confidence and mastered, I know it might be a bit wasteful on the tube, but better than having a complete wasted length.
He's the engineering type anyway - made a tonne of money with oil drilling in places foreign, now in retirement with a large workshop.... etc.

Reply to Online conduit tutorials in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net