• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Only 2 brands for domestic type A rcd/rcbo + type 2 spd in board?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It really depends on the SPD whether it needs an OCPD.
Its my understanding that SPDs are designed to fail open circuit. Pretty sure they are manufactured with a small soldered joint which is spring loaded, this is designed to melt under high fault currents and break the contact.
I’ve been told this by Robin from Dehn.
However Kirsty from surge protection devices says the opposite.
Both sit on the jpel/64 section D apparently.....
[automerge]1587898727[/automerge]
I was going to look inside one, to see exactly what is inside, but can't seem to open the plastic casing without risking damaging it (it is in a new Fusebox CU yet to be installed).
Do it anyway haha

Hi Ian,
Yes you are correct in saying their is no internal ocpd but they are rated at 125a which for most domestic installs with 60 and 80amp cutouts, the DNO fuse is acceptable for last resort OCPD with less than 250mm 6mm cable in total on the internal LNE SPD cables. For an extra £3 a 32amp mcb can be added to supply the SPD to give protection aswell ?
Fit loads of 6 way boards in terrace houses round here and to fit the 32a for the spd means going up to a 10 way board.....Havnt found an 8way fusebox yet??

If the SPD has a "fail flag" on display then almost certainly it has the spring loaded solder joint as a thermal disconnect mechanism inside. Also the MOV type (as normally used for type 2 and some type 1 SPD) tend to fail open, perhaps spectacularly so if they get a big direct hit but you probably have other concerns at that point...

I'm sure somewhere on YouTube I have seen a video with one of them taken apart that shows this but don't remember who did it.

Fit loads of 6 way boards in terrace houses round here and to fit the 32a for the spd means going up to a 10 way board.....Havnt found an 8way fusebox yet??
Fusebox did an 8 way and then made the same enclose metal cutouts wider and a larger din rail to accommodate 2 more ways without having to re manufacture all the enclosure ( so the old 8 way enclosure is the same size as the new 10 way) . 6 rcbo s / 1 mcb for SPD and 3 blanks allowing for future upgrades would do the job.

Fusebox did an 8 way and then made the same enclose metal cutouts wider and a larger din rail to accommodate 2 more ways without having to re manufacture all the enclosure ( so the old 8 way enclosure is the same size as the new 10 way) . 6 rcbo s / 1 mcb for SPD and 3 blanks allowing for future upgrades would do the job.
They would if they fitted in place of an old wylex board that you’ve taken out ?

Lewden and the rexel own brands offer Type A
BG offer type A rcds, possibly rcbos aswell. I often swap an ac rcd for a type a when fitting ev chargers in bg boards.
As mentioned already Fusebox supply type A's
Quick look on cef shows Proteus, MCG, M2 all doing type A
Rolec also do them, usually for there own ev or caravan hook ups.
Plenty of options out there and if you cant find one for your make of board then you can always route a circuit through a standalone module.

I was going to look inside one, to see exactly what is inside, but can't seem to open the plastic casing without risking damaging it (it is in a new Fusebox CU yet to be installed).

Well I now have a failed Fusebox SPD, so took a look inside. It failed due to mechanical damage, not electrical. The solder joint has broken, so the green flag springs back, revealing the red "failed" flag behind it.Only 2 brands for domestic type A rcd/rcbo + type 2 spd in board?? Fusebox SPD - EletriciansForums.net

Well I now have a failed Fusebox SPD, so took a look inside. It failed due to mechanical damage, not electrical. The solder joint has broken, so the green flag springs back, revealing the red "failed" flag behind it.
Can you show us the other side (MOV part) as well?

The other side is completely encapsulated in some white solid (non-rubber) potting compound, so there is nothing to see.

Reply to Only 2 brands for domestic type A rcd/rcbo + type 2 spd in board?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back