Discuss Only Approved sparks should be allowed to test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Absolutely, I agree, as the proud holder of a C&G 2391 qualification. But there are very little regulations governing test and inspection, merely the 'competent' word.

surely this needs implementing into the industry?

lots of companys seem to employ anyone

thoughts?
It will never happen, the DIs the schemes approve who are just qualified pay the fees that keep the schemes alive, this is a no go and will never happen fella.

Disagree. If you have studied and passed exams you are good to go (experience assumed!). It cannot be the province of a minority of electricians who have a JIB approved card. I think there could be grades of it. However no matter how you tie the industry up with law and regs, many will ignore it and go ahead anyway.

I have not run in to a Gold Card JIB holder who holds a 2391 testing qualification as yet, when asked they say never needed one.

So its not just DI schemes

The industry has changed now, years ago an Electrician had to be supervised by an Approved Electrician for example, he was under an Approved and usually had a couple of years to prove his worth before being allowed to work alone without supervision. Today they have broken the trade up into lots of areas, years ago we did everything. It is no problem IMO an Electrician testing his or her own work, they do not have the scope of work these days that there used to be and usually concentrate on either Domestic or Commercial etc, if you install anything you need to be able to test it, so I also disagree with the OP on this occassion.

As an absolute minimum,you should be capable of testing all the work you do,and,fully understand the results.
This would be a prerequisite,to any meaningful fault finding,on any other system.

As MDJ said,any notion that a scheme could be put in place,to check and insure this,is delusional.

Time and time again,we see people who have all the stickers,memberships and cards...struggling with basic understanding of both results and techniques. It is not worth getting agitated about.

Now that the judge has quashed the sentences of those "direct action" fracking protesters,i suppose some of you could climb on a vehicle,belonging to one of the many industry governing bodies...

...but don't expect a policy change :)

I did c&g 2360 pt 1 & 2, 16th edition, done 17th now, am1, cg 2391. 1999.
Boss wouldn’t pay for am2. Lecturer said nvq stood for ‘not very qualified’ as such I am graded just below bog cleaner.
Grading is about money, always has and always will be. I see approved sparks day in day out who haven’t got a clue. They wouldn’t know how to turn a tester on never mind be capable of using one.
So no, I also disagree

I did c&g 2360 pt 1 & 2, 16th edition, done 17th now, am1, cg 2391. 1999.
Boss wouldn’t pay for am2. Lecturer said nvq stood for ‘not very qualified’ as such I am graded just below bog cleaner.
Grading is about money, always has and always will be. I see approved sparks day in day out who haven’t got a clue. They wouldn’t know how to turn a tester on never mind be capable of using one.
So no, I also disagree
I like your post but grading isn;t about money, well okay it might be now but it was about ability when the JIB meant something, a Technician was always far superior in experience than an Electrician, it wasn't easy to get a Technicians card, it might be today, so okay fair point lol

This industry has become so fragmented and confusing even to those within it. It's hardly surprising then that customers often just go with the cheapest quotes as they are non the wiser as to who should legitimately be doing what. Every 'electrician' who installs or over sees an installation should be able to test. If the OP meant testing for 3rd parties and EICR's then a minimum of C & G 2391 or equivalent and several years proven experience would make sense in my opinion. Approved electricians would be a bit too far as many sparks choose to work solely in the domestic sector and really don't require Approved status to safely carry out their trade.

It will be interesting to see just who will be allowed to carry out EICR's on rented accommodation when it finally becomes mandatory for landlords to have regular electrical safety inspections perhaps similar to the ones required for gas?

surely this needs implementing into the industry?

lots of companys seem to employ anyone

thoughts?
Sorry, haven’t read any of the other comments, just responding to the initial post.
BS7671 requires all work to be inspected and for the appropriate tests to be made.
If only Approved Electricians were able to test, then no one else would be able to do any electrical work.
Pretty soon there would be no more Approved Electricans as the existing ones would die or retire.
There would be no one left to do any electrical work.

I have not run in to a Gold Card JIB holder who holds a 2391 testing qualification as yet, when asked they say never needed one.

So its not just DI schemes
My little brother does, got his 2391 in 2008.
He just does initial verifications though.
Hasn’t asked me for advice now for a few years.

Of course, I’m one of those who’s never needed one.

Reply to Only Approved sparks should be allowed to test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net