Discuss Only classed as a good spark if I can run jobs??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

John Matrix

Im looking for some general opinions on this. Im very good as an Electrician on the tools and have Lots if experience. I’m very conscientious and like to do thing properly. I have Ran some decent sized jobs in the past and got them over the line successfully. But as I have recently said to a colleague, there’s a difference between not wanting to run jobs and not being capable of running jobs. Generally in my experience there is not much more money offered for running a job. I feel that my health is more important and the extra stress is not good for me. I have always been cards in. I’m now at a point where I really don’t want to be a supervisor and want to just be an Electrician and make sure I’m the best Electrician I can be. But I feel like I’m not appreciated or Rated highly unless I run jobs. I do not enjoy having to sort out the running of jobs because i end up not being on the tools and get too stressed. I don’t know if it’s just me but it seems to be that you get looked down on for not wanting the hassle of running jobs. And your not classed as a good spark unless you run jobs. I only enjoy being a spark when I don’t run jobs. Being Cards in it is difficult to maintain decent money without running a job. Any opinions welcome. Will be interesting to get others perspectives. I’m curious to see what others have experienced

Paragraphs, just sayin.

You may not have realised it but you have neared a Zen like level of enlightenment.

Your last lesson is to realise that the only 'appreciation' or 'rating' is that the pay checks keep coming. The rest is BS employed by employers to keep you chasing fairies.

Generally in my experience there is not much more money offered for running a job

Being Cards in it is difficult to maintain decent money without running a job.
There is a slight contradiction in your post Gary.
I haven't worked for a company for a long time so I'm a bit out of the loop on this. I guess it's deciding between money and contentment.

There is a slight contradiction in your post Gary.
I haven't worked for a company for a long time so I'm a bit out of the loop on this. I guess it's deciding between money and contentment.
Yeah I get you. I guess it depends who you work for. What I meant was some firms pay good money without running a job, but most want you to run a job before they pay you a good rate. I’m my experience it is like that anyway.

I was in the same sort of predicament like you the opportunity to get out came at the right time and I and my mate set up as an Ltd Co. so everything is now for our benefit. I am happier less stressed. Sometimes the more you do the more you are put upon for not much extra.
I posted in here not long back about moving to maintenance fixing machines. But I’m really not sure what I wana do. Feel a bit lost at the moment.

Im looking for some general opinions on this. Im very good as an Electrician on the tools and have Lots if experience. I’m very conscientious and like to do thing properly. I have Ran some decent sized jobs in the past and got them over the line successfully. But as I have recently said to a colleague, there’s a difference between not wanting to run jobs and not being capable of running jobs. Generally in my experience there is not much more money offered for running a job. I feel that my health is more important and the extra stress is not good for me. I have always been cards in. I’m now at a point where I really don’t want to be a supervisor and want to just be an Electrician and make sure I’m the best Electrician I can be. But I feel like I’m not appreciated or Rated highly unless I run jobs. I do not enjoy having to sort out the running of jobs because i end up not being on the tools and get too stressed. I don’t know if it’s just me but it seems to be that you get looked down on for not wanting the hassle of running jobs. And your not classed as a good spark unless you run jobs. I only enjoy being a spark when I don’t run jobs. Being Cards in it is difficult to maintain decent money without running a job. Any opinions welcome. Will be interesting to get others perspectives. I’m curious to see what others have experienced
I can see where your coming from,I like running jobs,but usually on my own.
When I do get help,then the problems happen.
Worrying about how they are performing,making sure they know what their doing,properly,it’s hassle,it slows me up,it’s like looking after kids.
Where’s this where’s that,I’ll go to the wholesalers etc.

I was in the same sort of predicament like you the opportunity to get out came at the right time and I and my mate set up as an Ltd Co. so everything is now for our benefit. I am happier less stressed. Sometimes the more you do the more you are put upon for not much extra.
Yes agree many Bosses / Managers will nearly always, (for their benefit not yours), run a willing horse into the ground. Happened to me till I got out of the Rat race, and went Public Sector.

Yes agree many Bosses / Managers will nearly always, (for their benefit not yours), run a willing horse into the ground. Happened to me till I got out of the Rat race, and went Public Sector.
Have just left the public sector I was about to argue that it was the same but in retrospect having been a career detective can say the only people that do the work are the constables and maybe a few sergeants. The rest just add extra bureaucracy creating extra work for the constables so that can report to senior officers with stats for their next meeting.

I can't really advise specifically but its funny that you start your career thinking you are supposed to keep climbing up the ladder and eventually you realise you're sacrificing your health and happiness for more money.
You need enough money to take it out of the equation, if you have it then great but if you need more for whatever reason then you enter a horrible trade off about working more or sacrificing for yourself and maybe your family.

I read that the happiest people on average have a salary about 50k or something, of course it's arbitrary but this was interesting because the theory was that's plenty to give people a decent life, and any more, you're likely to be working yourself into the ground or a workaholic.
Not much concrete help I'm afraid, but try to put your health and happiness at the top as long term youre no use to anyone stressed out. Good luck.

I can't really advise specifically but its funny that you start your career thinking you are supposed to keep climbing up the ladder and eventually you realise you're sacrificing your health and happiness for more money.
You need enough money to take it out of the equation, if you have it then great but if you need more for whatever reason then you enter a horrible trade off about working more or sacrificing for yourself and maybe your family.

I read that the happiest people on average have a salary about 50k or something, of course it's arbitrary but this was interesting because the theory was that's plenty to give people a decent life, and any more, you're likely to be working yourself into the ground or a workaholic.
Not much concrete help I'm afraid, but try to put your health and happiness at the top as long term youre no use to anyone stressed out. Good luck.
Thanks mate. I do need to put my health first. I had some health issues couple of years back which I won’t go into on here. Let’s just day it has changed me. And has changed how much stress I can handle. I appreciate family more nowadays and don’t want to go home every night in a bad mood or too tired to acknowledge them.
But still need to earn a wage. So that’s why I’m thinking of doing the maintenance engineer role so I’m more secure and stable and not traveling all over the country. Still haven’t made my mind up yet thow.

Thanks mate. I do need to put my health first. I had some health issues couple of years back which I won’t go into on here. Let’s just day it has changed me. And has changed how much stress I can handle. I appreciate family more nowadays and don’t want to go home every night in a bad mood or too tired to acknowledge them.
But still need to earn a wage. So that’s why I’m thinking of doing the maintenance engineer role so I’m more secure and stable and not traveling all over the country. Still haven’t made my mind up yet thow.
Get the right job then, “some UK travel” in a job advert means “you will live in a succession of Premier Inns until you question what the f**k you are doing with your life.”

You know, there's plenty of stress being a maintenance electrician. If production stops. It's your job to get it back up and running again.

You will have a lot of responsibility in the factory.

You know, there's plenty of stress being a maintenance electrician. If production stops. It's your job to get it back up and running again.

You will have a lot of responsibility in the factory.
That’s not what I’ve heard.

Running a job means that you can dish out all of the ---- jobs to others. You don't have to do them.

Ver
very true

Reply to Only classed as a good spark if I can run jobs??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock