Discuss Only me... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Millyfish

Hello everybody, I'm Phil

Currently looking down the barrel of the redundancy gun and waiting for it to go off!:(

I'm actually an accountant by qualification but a fixer by inclination so I've decided to go life-changer and do something about getting a job with real satisfaction. So that will be an electrician then.:)

For the moment, I'm just looking at all the relevant courses and qualifications (2381, 2391-10, 2392 etc - you'd have thought being a man of numbers, I'd have no trouble with these!)

Will keep you posted, but if anyone has any good suggestions for a way forward they'd be very welcome.

I'm not a complete duffer, though. I've rewired all my homes to date - I buy old restoration projects - rewired my Miele dishwasher with the loom and controller from one I found on ebay for £4, circumnavigated a duff PCB on the central heating boiler and designed and fitted the CH controls from scratch. Sorry, bigging myself up a bit, there. Laters
Phil

Millyfish,

I teach the EAL Domestic Electric Installers course at £995
2382 (17th edition regs) at £495
2392 (Fundamental inpection and testing) at about £500
and 2391 Inspection and testing at £990

We get a lot of redundant 'career changers'

Dont know where you live, I am in Cardiff. Our redundant guys come to us on a scheme called ReAct, which gives them up to £2.5K in funding for retraining.

You may have a similar scheme, but its a good way of doing some intensive training and getting qualified. THEN go and spend six months working for a sparks bashing bits out of walls!!!:)

Thanks Tony and Luke

I'm certainly looking at all the courses. I'm in the East Midlands so have found a couple of likely looking courses in Chesterfield. Anyone know of any good "teach yourself at Home" type courses. I've looked at a couple of CD based courses but have seen mixed reviews.

Looks like the "gun" goes off on Monday so I'll have a better idea of the situation then - especially the £££ bit

Keep you posted. I'm looking forward to this forum, it's nice to know there are a few friends about to share things with.

Phil

Reply to Only me... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock