Discuss Open Circuit or High Resistance - THE GREAT DEBATE in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Foxhound

A class of thirty students are presented with a question for there level 3 class assignment.

L1 AND L1 = 2 Ohms
N1 AND N1 = 2000 Ohms
E 1 AND E1 = 2 0hms

29 of them say open circuit on the neutral.
1 says it is a high resistance fault because it is a finite reading and there for it can not be open circuit but a poor termination due to the fact a reading has been obtained.

Who is right? The mob or the guy who is about leg it to the car park?

You decide his fate ...

(loser gets a free back door pass for the Blue Oyster bar)

Hope you made it safely to the car park. 2000 ohms isn't, never has been and never will be an open circuit. If it was, I could have saved myself a fortune (well, a few quid) replacing resistors with fresh air back in my electronic engineering days.

If it was 30 experienced electricians answering a question (NOT THIS QUESTION) and 29 said 1 thing, 1 said different, it's most likely the 29 would be correct and the 1 would be wrong.

In this case it's 30 non experienced electricians.
Of the 29, the majority have probably conferred and got the answer wrong for the same reason, whereas the 1 sought outside help and got it correct.

Hope you made it safely to the car park. 2000 ohms isn't, never has been and never will be an open circuit. If it was, I could have saved myself a fortune (well, a few quid) replacing resistors with fresh air back in my electronic engineering days.[/QUOTE

Thanks mate,

Just to be more clear it up this is a ring circuit and I'm assuming it depends on the meter yo are using. Some meters will read O/R or O/L and some say 2000 ohms which can be assumed to be a open circuit. It's a bit confusing

Some meters will read O/R or O/L and some say 2000 ohms which can be assumed to be a open circuit. It's a bit confusing

It's not confusing, it's a hyperthetical question and you are being presented with the test results of 2000ohm.
For this question it doesn't matter what meter was used.

A more advanced question might present varying readings gained from various meters and ask you to explain the problem

if your meter had read >2000 ohms, that would mean that it was outside the range of the meter and could then be either open or high. the answer is then to use a meter with a higher upper read limit.

Reply to Open Circuit or High Resistance - THE GREAT DEBATE in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net