Discuss Opinions, guidance and general horror. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

imago

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Without giving you a long and boring career history I am experienced in the construction industry and electrical work. I went office based for a number of years and missed it. So now I'm self employed again and bringing my qualifications up to date.

So, I have given my pound (should that be kilo now?) of flesh to ELECSA and I'm awaiting a date for inspection. I will be changing the CU at home, which has needed doing since we moved in but you know how it goes. I have attached a couple of pics below, the first shows it as it was, complete with washing machine supply taps pointing straight at the bottom of the CU! This was done by a builder when the extension was put up a few years before we bought the place. It has full sign off from the building inspector too. The second pic shows the new meter and isolator I had fitted by the DNO a short while back, which will allow me a nice safe change that I can show the assessor.

I'm happy with my capabilities and knowledge to do the work, but being out of it for some time dents your confidence a bit. With that in mind I'd appreciate it if you'd have a look at the pics, and my 'to do' list and give your thoughts on the job.

Test all the circuits as they are currently and rectify any faults or oddities that I find. No doubt something will be thrown up that I can use for the small job. Fit a new Hager board above the level of the current trunking. New tails to CU, replace the tragic excuse for bonding to the water and MET etc including bonding the gas. Currently 5m away in the hall with no bonding to it at all. Box in the water pipes so that the area is protected from water spray if they get knocked or leak. Do the cable calcs for the existing stuff, just to show I can rather than must. Full set of tests, fill in the paperwork, and label everything up.

Sound reasonable?

Attachments

• Opinions, guidance and general horror. Old CU Meter - EletriciansForums.net
    Old CU Meter.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Opinions, guidance and general horror. New Isol - EletriciansForums.net
    New Isol.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 73
make sure you post "after" pics when it's all done .

Will do, and no doubt the tale of woe with what I find when Fluke meets install.

What is the Current Installation wired in? T&E.....Looks like abit there. Sounds all good ! You checked if cpc's are present yet in lighting circuits. That could be fun.....

But as you have put it in list seems like your good to go. I hope you have a clear run as regards the wiring in home and all comes up ok. Be nice little project for your assessment if all go well.

Yeah it's all in Black and Red T+E, and there are CPC's to all the switches and roses I've looked at. To be honest the installation seems to be mostly sound, just rough and showing its age in some places.

I will certainly keep you posted, and get some pics up etc.

Reply to Opinions, guidance and general horror. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock