Discuss Opinions of this wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there

Just after some experts opinions of this wiring of my consumer unit (image attached).

It was installed by one electrician who installed the attached, they were then meant to other jobs in the property but went AWOL. Anyway, we then hired another electrician who finished off the other jobs but commented that this installation quality was appalling and 'don't pay them other than the materials' He then had to redo a lot of the work on the attached.

Just wanted a second opinion, appreciate it's difficult to see in an image but want to be fair to everyone before I ask for discount. Is it that bad?

It looks untidy wiring to me but welcome your opinions...

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 14.50.49.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 14.51.03.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 14.51.24.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 140
We've seen worse on here, I'm sure, but yeah - that's pretty poor!! It would need an up close inspection to say for certain how many non-conformities existed. I can clearly see that it's been a board swap from a much smaller one (probably rewireable fuses??) and in doing so that cables have needed to be extended, but there's ways and there's ways!!! A better way would have been a small plain box where the original cables presented, proper DIN rail connections to new cable and then mount the new consumer unit directly alongside or underneath. I'd agree with your other sparky - pay for materials only.

We've seen worse on here, I'm sure, but yeah - that's pretty poor!! It would need an up close inspection to say for certain how many non-conformities existed. I can clearly see that it's been a board swap from a much smaller one (probably rewireable fuses??) and in doing so that cables have needed to be extended, but there's ways and there's ways!!! A better way would have been a small plain box where the original cables presented, proper DIN rail connections to new cable and then mount the new consumer unit directly alongside or underneath. I'd agree with your other sparky - pay for materials only.
Thanks very much for your input. Yes replaced a much smaller 1980s fuseboard well spotted! The other sparky commented on those plastic connectors they have used and ended up replacing them

Hold on a minute

Are those Henley Blocks ? Was this a Delroy job ?
First glance they look like Click blocks, yes. I'm amazed the cover managed to get back on!!!

Did you get a certificate from the first electrican, with a schedule of test results for all the circuits?

And did it get notified to Building Control (assuming it is domestic, this is required)?

Did you get a certificate from the first electrican, with a schedule of test results for all the circuits?

And did it get notified to Building Control (assuming it is domestic, this is required)?
Yes we did test first, and the test failed one of the reasons being to do with the old style fuse box hence this job attached. He then went AWOL but the second electrician made amends and signed it off with NAPIT

Edit turns out we did get an NIEIC certificate for the first installation, pictured. Then got a second one NAPIT from the second electrician who amended the mess you can see. I think it was then sent off somewhere possibly building control?

Horrendous.

A total mess.

Hensley blocks inside a CU. Never seen that and I’ve seen a lot.

someone has no pride in there work at all. disgusting.
Seen quite a few Celebrity electricians change boards on youtube and put henley blocks inside the consumer unit

Must be a new thing ?

Any links?
Delroy used henley blocks inside a consumer unit in one of his very early videos if you are willing to trawl through his back catalogue

There was another guy from up the North who used Henleys in a board as well , can't remember the guys name now

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Sounds like we might have justification to knock some ££ off the cost in light of paying the other sparky to put things right. Any other comments/observations greatly appreciated

Reply to Opinions of this wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net