Discuss Opinions on job proposal in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, long time member but not many posts to my name. I would appreciate advice and opinions on a job I have been asked to do for a friend of a friend.

I have been approached to carry out some electrical works at a funeral parlour. They want to convert the upstairs of the building into rentable offices and a small kitchen / welfare area. The upstairs will be completely stripped out, minor layout changes, new ceilings and re-plastered walls. The electrical works will include 2 x ring final circuits, 2 x lighting circuits and a water heater supply. As usual, the client is looking for the cheapest and least disruptive solution.

I have surveyed the existing electrical installation in the building and have found the following:

Incoming TP&N 80A supply, TN-S. Bonding in place to water and gas.

The building has been re-wired in PVC T&E, I would estimate around 15 – 20 years ago but the wiring and accessories appear to be in good condition.

DB 1 – TP&N Wylex, part insulated with 3871 MCB`s. This provides general lighting and power for the whole building. 10 MCB`s in use. I would estimate the total loading of less than 20A across the 3 phases as they only have a small office area, display room, chapel of rest, meeting room and a small kitchen. Only 1 person works in the building at present.

DB2 – TP&N Wylex, part insulated with 3871 MCB`s. This is live but not in use as it used to be an off peak DB, providing power for storage heaters in each room. Gas central heating is now installed so this board is redundant as are the 11 radial heater circuits.

Now for my question, as the new circuits will require RCD protection, I have 3 options:

1 – Replace existing DB1 and provide RCBO`s for existing and new circuits (expensive but probably the best option)

2 – 60A SP&N Sub-main to upstairs in 3 core 10mm SWA and new SP&N consumer unit with dual RCD and MCB`s and leave existing DB1 as it is. (cheapest option)

3 – 60A SP&N Sub-main to new consumer unit upstairs and also replace existing DB1 with a SP&N dual RCD consumer unit. (This will leave phase L3 redundant)

I would welcome any advice and opinions on my options for this work

Does the upstairs require it's own meter?

Does the upstairs require it's own meter?
maybe not, but it does require stairs (or a lift for the less mobile persons. 3 of each, i suppose.... male, female, and gender neutered.).:D:D:D:D:D.

Reply to Opinions on job proposal in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock