Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Opinions on outdoor socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I’m building a man cave/BBQ area. It has a substantial roof, a weather proof back wall, but open to the elements on the other three sides. It’s large enough so the back wall won’t be susceptible to rain etc. In the rest of the garden, I’ve used MK Masterseal sockets.

However, they are a bit of a faff plugging in stuff.

I was thinking of just installing a non IP rated socket, as it will only have to contend with dampness etc, and be easier plugging in my rotisserie or electric carving knife.

What your views, or should I just get my coat :)

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
buy a BG outside socket. single or double.

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Personally I think it would look a bit 'DIY', but would probably be OK.

SparkySy

-
Arms
Ah should be fine if it's well out of the elements, I have a mate with a large covered area in his garden that has normal sockets fitted and they must of been in for 10 years at least with no issues.

D

Deleted member 105166

I was thinking of just installing a non IP rated socket, as it will only have to contend with dampness etc,
Is it on it's own RCBO, or with other circuits on a split RCD board?
If the latter an N-E path could cause nuisance tripping of the corresponding RCD

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it on it's own RCBO, or with other circuits on a split RCD board?
If the latter an N-E path could cause nuisance tripping of the corresponding RCD
Nope, it’s just fed off an RFC, but I can negate that by turning off the FCU.

I could just put in another Masterseal, but those lids do my head in, especially when I’m chefing.

D

Deleted member 105166

How about an IP44/IP67 rated 16A IEC60309 (ceeform) socket, used with a short 16A to twin 13A jumper?

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Here’s the situation;

5F2D8E88-3BBD-4DA7-81AC-8082ED06FD17.jpeg

and another one developing;

3B413990-21B9-4F5B-9F91-FB0ACA7E5BD6.jpeg

PS, whats happening with this forum, on the quiet as it were?

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
It’s ok with the last one; her indoors has come to the rescue with replenishment. Thew

Reply to Opinions on outdoor socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom