Discuss Opinions on outdoor socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’m building a man cave/BBQ area. It has a substantial roof, a weather proof back wall, but open to the elements on the other three sides. It’s large enough so the back wall won’t be susceptible to rain etc. In the rest of the garden, I’ve used MK Masterseal sockets.

However, they are a bit of a faff plugging in stuff.

I was thinking of just installing a non IP rated socket, as it will only have to contend with dampness etc, and be easier plugging in my rotisserie or electric carving knife.

What your views, or should I just get my coat :)

Personally I think it would look a bit 'DIY', but would probably be OK.

Ah should be fine if it's well out of the elements, I have a mate with a large covered area in his garden that has normal sockets fitted and they must of been in for 10 years at least with no issues.

I was thinking of just installing a non IP rated socket, as it will only have to contend with dampness etc,

Is it on it's own RCBO, or with other circuits on a split RCD board?
If the latter an N-E path could cause nuisance tripping of the corresponding RCD

Is it on it's own RCBO, or with other circuits on a split RCD board?
If the latter an N-E path could cause nuisance tripping of the corresponding RCD
Nope, it’s just fed off an RFC, but I can negate that by turning off the FCU.

I could just put in another Masterseal, but those lids do my head in, especially when I’m chefing.

Looks well does that.

No offence to Middy although he probably will be offended but I find people who cook outside, particularly with barbeques mildly irritating. It is on a par with hot tubs.

No offence to Middy although he probably will be offended but I find people who cook outside, particularly with barbeques mildly irritating. It is on a par with hot tubs.
you forgot topless sunbathing.

Reply to Opinions on outdoor socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock