Discuss Opinions please EICR code C1 or C2? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
A block of flats has various external lights not just attached to the building but around the grounds. Part of the circuit has twin and earth going underground with good readings but clearly unsuitable cable for external/underground use (not contained in any form of conduit).

The swa on the circuit is 2 core but the steel wire has been cut short on some lights at the top of brick piers with a couple of rusty strands of it attached to terminal blocks to connect to the lights earth, and not surprisingly the steel wire reading as the cpc as good as non existent with silly results (so the cpc is a 100% fail),

There are other ground lights that also have 2 core swa and the steel wire is not earthed (zero reading).

There is also no RCD protection for any external lights.

I am swaying between C1 and C2, so opinions appreciated.

Last edited:
OP mentioned steel strands connected to light's earth. i assume they have earth terminals and so would be classI.

The swa on the circuit is 2 core but the steel wire has been cut short on some lights at the top of brick piers with a couple of rusty strands of it attached to terminal blocks to connect to the lights earth, and not surprisingly the steel wire reading as the cpc as good as non existent with silly results (so the cpc is a 100% fail),

You got any photos of the SWA terminations you have mentioned?

Why do you think the lights require RCD/RCBO protection?

Thanks guys. Yes they are class 1 fittings. I have pictures on my mobile, but they will only show a couple or so strands of the swa connected into a terminal block and the lights cpc connected to the terminal blocks.

With regards the rcd, I would always fit or recommend an rcd be fitted to external lights especially when they are low level wall height and people brushing past and touching them is very likely. For the small cost involved fitting an rcd I believe it's worth it.

So the earth is terminated externally to the light fitting via a connector block? If so how does the earth enter the light fitting?

A block of flats has various external lights not just attached to the building but around the grounds. Part of the circuit has twin and earth going underground with good readings but clearly unsuitable cable for external/underground use (not contained in any form of conduit).

There are other ground lights that also have 2 core swa and the steel wire is not earthed (zero reading).

Page 165 Blue OSG give a fairy comprehensive guide to EICR codes read and inwardly digest.

Page 165 Blue OSG give a fairy comprehensive guide to EICR codes read and inwardly digest.

Reply to Opinions please EICR code C1 or C2? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock