Discuss Opinions required on a tricky estimate. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just carried out a 50% EICR on a property as the builders usual electrician (loosely used term here ) has said that the job is too much for him to tackle after usual work hours for his proper boss on the private for this builder !

He cannot test and hasn't got kit or knowledge anyway, no insurance and so on.. so now after finding a lot of issues on the report he has asked me to estimate it. The problem being I already know it needs broken consumer unit replaced but also many coded problems worked through and sorted first, then new board and full certs for all of it.

From what I saw on 50% look and test it will be at least a 40hr week or more to look into the issues and start to rectify without thinking of touching the board.

Estimating something like this I am thinking of the rough hours halving ring finals etc.. breaking down legs for IR tests and so on then at least the new board and other materials on top plus time allowed for certs and a little dollop on top too for any unforseen plus hassle contingency !

Ping the figure out and see if he goes for it.
What do you think about this kind of thing ? My old boss used to apply a 1.7 or 2 x multiplier onto all his works and air con too after pricing all materials and that seems really rough but also far less time consuming but got 90% of his jobs like that and made a packet.

Thanks.

All you can do is explain what’s involved and give a day rate plus estimated parts .......

No fool would give a fixed price.....
Thanks Murdoch, one of the strange ones was an fcu feeding a 2 gang dimmer plate which once powered on to feed lighting came on for around 5 seconds, then bang blew the dummy dimmer to bits but not immediately see then not blowing 1362 fuse in spur nor the mcb at source ! Bit weird, quite a bang !

With fault finding we allow two hours further investigation per circuit/fault. Sometimes it can be rectified but otherwise the client is further quoted to remedy the problem. You can allow a set figure of say £20 per issue to cover any necessary parts you may need at the time.

As above an estimate on time to locate and repair minor faults.

We allow a half day per fault but do not do domestic ao this may be too much.

I tend to give an idea of the price range for an individual issue. Say you have a lack of end to end continuity on a RFC - I would say it may take anywhere between 1-3hrs to locate the precise location of it, and then the cost of fixing it depends on where the problem is. So I might say "as an idea of rough costs I anticipate it costing between £30 up to £180.00 to find and fix"...

I tend to give an idea of the price range for an individual issue. Say you have a lack of end to end continuity on a RFC - I would say it may take anywhere between 1-3hrs to locate the precise location of it, and then the cost of fixing it depends on where the problem is. So I might say "as an idea of rough costs I anticipate it costing between £30 up to £180.00 to find and fix"...

NDG Elecs, I'm trying to look at this from a customer perspective.
So, if it takes you an hour or less and needs no parts it could cost as little as £30. If on the extreme end it takes as much as 3 hours and requires parts, those parts will cost £90, for a cable break?
Not having a go, just wanting to understand your thinking. ;)

So, if it takes you an hour or less and needs no parts it could cost as little as £30. If on the extreme end it takes as much as 3 hours and requires parts, those parts will cost £90, for a cable break?

Yep, basically Martyn, that's it in a nutshell. I explain it to the customer as clearly as I can to say I might find the issue at the first socket I look at, then again I might have to split the cct down five times and then find the issue is somewhere behind a freshly tiled wall.. so from one extreme too another.
If they insisted on a fixed quote for the job, I would try to explain that it was not the most sensible way too approach it. If they still insisted I would say ok then it's £1200.00!!

Yep, basically Martyn, that's it in a nutshell. I explain it to the customer as clearly as I can to say I might find the issue at the first socket I look at, then again I might have to split the cct down five times and then find the issue is somewhere behind a freshly tiled wall.. so from one extreme too another.
If they insisted on a fixed quote for the job, I would try to explain that it was not the most sensible way too approach it. If they still insisted I would say ok then it's £1200.00!!
actually chief, that's exactly what a trade mate has said to me that if pushed just go with 2K or similar as a start and if not covered then will be extra on top as at present I have around 20 plus coded issues many are C2 as well ! Thanks for your valued opinions all.

Reply to Opinions required on a tricky estimate. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock