Discuss Opinions required on work quality please. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Captain Haddock

Hi All
I have just had a PV installation fitted and not very impressed with the job on the roof, I was under the impression the idea was to grind a bit out of tiles for the fixings so they sit properly, I would be grateful for any opinions on the quality of the job, I have posted a load of photos on my website at Leo Magill (click on thumbnails for full size photos), the photography is pretty poor.
Should I stop the cheque?
Below is an example of dislodged tiles around the chimney, they sat fine before.
SS853003.JPG

Looks like an innocent mistake, its not sat on top of the top tile, sometimes there are a lot of things to think about and its easy to be distracted, but they do IMHO need grinding down to sit flush, its not a biggy, but i would say needs doing - because in the next strong winds your going hear them chattering against the bracket.

Other have different views on grinding tiles.

Last edited:
Difficult to see from your photo why the tile is sitting up. It doesn't seem to be where a bracket is placed.

I think all brackets should be grinded out if they need to be to make a tile sit right.

Like Dansk said, others have different opinions on this.

If you grind out too much, you risk removing so much material the tile becomes thin and liable to crack. Saying that, some of these are riding too high as Biggs and Dansk are saying so it would be sensible to grind. You need to raise your concern asap as it would be easier and safer to do it whilst the scaffolding is still in place. Not sure about stopping the cheque. Depends on your relationship with the installer I guess.

I'm firmly in the non grind club for pantile roofs, you'll weaken most tiles to an unaccetpable level. Roof dependent of course, we do grind some tiles.

The chimmney area needs work and i'd be more concerned about cracking at the ridge as that top tile is basically immovable, call the installer to sort out the chimmney area but as for stripping all the panels and grind out each tile, seems a bit too much. I do not buy into to the wind clattering the tile aganist the bracket, if the tile is clattering then it is loose and that is an issue - rather than a smallish kick.

Under English Contract law, you should be very careful about witholding payment without professional leagl advice.

As you can see there are many different views on this type of install.
On one of your photos it looks like there is hardly any overlap on the tiles, with the way they are sitting now it will almost certainly cause you problems when the weather is extreme.

Awful job, This is exactly why i use a proper roofer to to the roof work. The nibs need grinding off on the tiles. If they do not sit back down the vacuum will just suck water up into the roof.

Maybe not stop the cheque but certainly call them to give them a chance to rectify the work!

Vacuum? Are you suggesting a roof is pretty much air-tight in places?

No, when the misses is hoovering out the loft at the same time as its raining.. :yes:

I'd agree that the overlap looks quite small and some of them are up quite a way (picture 15 for example), driving rain will fly up there, eventually rotting the roofing felt away.

Doesn't look like a top job to be honest but there's plenty about like it, only time will tell how they all fair up over a few years!

Last edited by a moderator:
pv pics 018.jpgIn this picture there was no need to grind the back of the tile as it sat quite flat and would not cause a problem with water ingress or wind chatter.

pv pics 019.jpgIn this picture the back of the tile had to be ground out a little, to allow the tile to sit flat.
By rights, your system should have failed building regs (the new part C, preparation and resistance to contaminates and moisture) but as there was no site visit how would building control know?
Also you have two panels at the top in your photo's which are clamped on the short side, this can invalidate the warranty on some panels due to fiscal loadings. You would need to check with the panel manufacturer on this.
I am not too keen on your panel clamps either (just my opinion), but it looks like it is a standard kit bought from your panel company.

I hope this helps

With double romans we have been using an adjustable bracket which can be adjusted to sit right down on the tile(but not sitting tight to them), then we have been grinding the lower nibs off so the tiles fit virtually flush, you have two problems from what I see of the pictures, wrong hooks and no grindy.
I can understand the ones nearest the ridge not being ground out as they obviously didn't want to disturb the ridge tiles and flashings by the chimney.
Is it worth withholding money? possibly, but would it not be better to get them back to rectify the job ( unless you have already asked and they fobbed you off!)

Reply to Opinions required on work quality please. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net