Discuss OPinions WelcomE with growing minimum wages now at £7.20 how do you cope. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

michaelw6

-
Arms
Reaction score
its getting harder and harder to find labour with wages on the increase, i don't know about you guys but with all the competition out there and electricians popping up on every corner i am going to be paying an employee more money than i am on.
that don't seem fair to me as the average electrical wage now is 35k.
If this keeps up i'm going to be jacking it all in and working for someone else...

its getting harder and harder to find labour with wages on the increase, i don't know about you guys but with all the competition out there and electricians popping up on every corner i am going to be paying an employee more money than i am on.
If this keeps up i'm going to be jacking it all in and working for someone else...

Are you suggesting that you want to pay your electricians or mates the minimum wage?

Your joking............?

£7.20 an hour equates to £57.60 for an eight hour day, I would be embarrassed paying a labourer that amount!?

adverage labourer earns 80-120 a day.
electricians 180-225 a day
got a job up for local electrician needed for 27k and had no reply's at all. looking around at electricians jobs locally and they are asking 30k i don't even earn that!! why would i pay an employee more than me!
don't look like i,m gonna get one though.
minimum wage is now 14976 a year plus holidays pension and all the other stuff you need to pay them.
if an electrician wants 30k a year and a van and a tablet and a phone and pension and holidays i,m going to work for someone else...

£100 a day for a sparks labourer is the going rate for a few people I know. Also know a guy on £80 a day apprenticeship but he's very lucky to get that, this is all before tax of course. If your talking cash in hand £80-100 average.

I don't see what a rising minimum wage has to do with anything - electricians and mates rates seem to have stagnated while unskilled jobs such as office work, labourers, shop workers, cleaners etc have risen to close the gap. I expect before long mates/improvers will be earning the same after a couple of years at college as a cleaner.

I've seen local adverts asking for maintenance electricians for around £22k.

I saw one yesterday day for £8. It was for modular building works but an electrician is an electrician right?

I can't believe that someone who thinks he's being rational could even say stuff like this. If paying your labour minimum wage means you're earning less than them, then you're going to starve my friend. You seem to grudge them things like a pension, holidays etc. as if they're privileges only you deserve. Do you know how much like the most right wing of Tories you sound? Honestly, if half of what you're saying is true, get the Hell out of that game and go work for someone else. Then you can see what working for the lead character in A Christmas Carol feels like.

got a job up for local electrician needed for 27k and had no reply's at all. looking around at electricians jobs locally and they are asking 30k i don't even earn that!!

This doesn't make sense to me? Your advertising for an electrician @ 27k but you say you earn less than 30k.
How can you you expect to live on less than 3k?

Loki

seriously im not begruging any one anything. im just stating that if i take the same privilages id out price myself being in the domestic game it dont pay anymore.
if you want to be actually profiting working for yourself like you should do its either industrial or become a plumber...
i feel like this industry with the lack of control and all is going down the pan.
the other day i felt i had to report an electrician for the shoddy job he had signed off as safe when it was severly dangerous so i rang the body concerned and they were not interested.... i mean whats the point in £700 a year to be tested.
why can some one become qualified in less than a year with no experiance then go installing fuse boxes...
there is no wonder we are all under cut and there are so many cowboys out there.
thats my rant sorry totaly off subject!
:81:

The issue is not the industry, many people make a good living. I would suggest sitting down and looking at ways to maximise your own time, seek better jobs or a niche area.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Reply to OPinions WelcomE with growing minimum wages now at £7.20 how do you cope. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net