Discuss Optimum setup of 2 strings on Solis RHI hybrid inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tom S

-
Reaction score
Hi,
We have a setup of 2 strings in series of Viridian panels, at present these go to the inverter which has dual mppt inputs so the strings are independent.
The strings are slightly different, 7 x 250w clearline mono and 7 x 270w clearline poly.

I have been looking at the settings in the Solis inverter and and it seems it has a parallel mode so the 2 mppt's can be combined in the inverter to make one parallel string.

What I am wondering if anybody has the knowledge is which would produce the best system performance?
Would it be just leave it at 2 independent series strings or parallel both strings in the inverter settings?
Many thanks for any advice

Optimum setup of 2 strings on Solis RHI hybrid inverter {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I am new to solar pv technology so please do not take what follows as gospel - I recommend you contact the manufacturer and read what others contribute. But my understanding of parallel operation of dual/multiple MPPT trackers refers to them operating in the same battery charging stage at the same time (see diagram above) and not to the electrical paralleling of their outputs nor to only one MPPT algorithm being applied to the combined array of paralleled strings. So, in your case - each MPPT will track the pv voltage and pv current and battery voltage to determine the pv voltage and pv current from each string to produce the maximum power output from each string; this is then converted into the optimum current at the most appropriate voltage to suit the state of charge of the battery and the stage of the battery charging sequence viz bulk, absorption, float, equalization. I think the parallel mode (sometimes called synchronisation) refers then to each MPPT controller being in the same battery charging stage as required by the state of charge of the battery at any instant and charge already delivered to the battery (ie: Coulombs Q = integral of i(t)dt).

Other more experienced folk can correct, clarify or amplify further.

So, in answer to your question I reckon you should select parallel mode.

Dual MPPT allows separate arrays installed in different azimuths and angles and irradiation profiles to be combined eg:

https://3vq5kdns38e1qxlmvvqmrzsi-wp...ntent/uploads/2014/02/mppt-diagram-solar1.jpg

Optimum setup of 2 strings on Solis RHI hybrid inverter {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

:)

Basically the Solis Inverter has Dual MPPT which means it can operate two strings completely independently (2 MPPT as Solis say). As yours are unbalanced it would be detrimental to parallel them together so therefore keep them independent.

Could you send me a link to the Solis RHI hybrid inverter you have please so I can read up on it and the parallel mode setting?

Here's the datasheet,
https://www.cclcomponents.com/attachments/file/download/id/9046/
and here is the manual
https://www.cclcomponents.com/attachments/file/download/id/9237/
There is not much info on the parallel mode but from my own observations in parallel mode the current from both strings is exactly the same with a +5 to 10 volts on the bigger series of panels (270w) compared to the smaller series of panels(250w).

In independent mode there is a difference in current and voltage between both series strings of panels as to be expected with the 270w panels producing slightly more.

Are you able to flip between parallel and independent mode quickly, and on a number of time separated occasions, to see whether at each time you take both measurements, the sum of the measured pv array currents is always higher for the parallel mode than the independent mode? (I suspect it will be.)

For Tom S: For my own education and clarification I asked Ginlong Technologies about the parallel mode setting on the solis hybrid inverter and have just received this response:

No you shouldn’t use parallel mode, because they are different panels and will have different maximum power points, so the trackers must be independent of each other.

The parallel mode is only for installs that want to save a little on cabling and want to run a single thicker cable down from the roof. This requires that the panels are facing the same direction.

Kind regards,

Paul Carpenter
Electrical Design Engineer
MSc Electrical Engineering (UCT)
Ginlong UK Office (Solis Inverters)

For Tom S: For my own education and clarification I asked Ginlong Technologies about the parallel mode setting on the solis hybrid inverter and have just received this response:

No you shouldn’t use parallel mode, because they are different panels and will have different maximum power points, so the trackers must be independent of each other.

The parallel mode is only for installs that want to save a little on cabling and want to run a single thicker cable down from the roof. This requires that the panels are facing the same direction.

Kind regards,

Paul Carpenter
Electrical Design Engineer
MSc Electrical Engineering (UCT)
Ginlong UK Office (Solis Inverters)

I have solis rhi-5k-48es-5g, and currently there are many PVs with large capacities > 550wp, then Imp > 11A around 13A.

if I use 8 x Jinko JKM565N-72HL4-V, series connection same tilt & direction, then Voc = 407.04V, Vmp = 337.76V, Isc = 14.39A and Imp = 13.62A

How to use the Solis feature "Multiple MPPT enable/disable" so as not to be hit by the 11A current limiter

Kind regards,

Heri Gunawan

This is how you use the multiple MPPT enable/disable:

Multiple MPPT enable/disable - https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/en/support/solutions/articles/44002005586-multiple-mppt-enable-disable

However, this will have no effect on the 11A current limit.

Here is the SOLIS PV array design tool which will enable you to select the number and type of PV panel without exceeding the Voc and current limit:

Solis Online Design Tool string configuration - https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/en/support/solutions/articles/44002371252-solis-online-design-tool-string-configuration

This is how you use the multiple MPPT enable/disable:

Multiple MPPT enable/disable - https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/en/support/solutions/articles/44002005586-multiple-mppt-enable-disable

However, this will have no effect on the 11A current limit.

Here is the SOLIS PV array design tool which will enable you to select the number and type of PV panel without exceeding the Voc and current limit:

Solis Online Design Tool string configuration - https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/en/support/solutions/articles/44002371252-solis-online-design-tool-string-configuration

Thanks @marconi,
I think, the independent or parallel mode MPPT on this Solis inverter is similar to the independent or parallel mode MPPT on this PowerOne inverter. https://powertripenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/Power-One-PVI-3.0-3.6-4.2-manual.pdf

Please help me clarify this, if this is true, then the limit current increases to around 11A x 2 = 22 A, but the total power input PV shall not exceed recommended max. PV power for solis inverter.
and I also haven't gotten an answer from the Solis helpdesk

Optimum setup of 2 strings on Solis RHI hybrid inverter 1698852821719 - EletriciansForums.net

Optimum setup of 2 strings on Solis RHI hybrid inverter 1698852859992 - EletriciansForums.net

Optimum setup of 2 strings on Solis RHI hybrid inverter 1698852908827 - EletriciansForums.net

@heri1177

I don't have experience with Solis inverter but I run Sofar hybrid inverter with 2 mppt configured in parallel. It's 1 string connected to both mppt channels with Y splitter. This allows to run at full voltage per each channel but half the current

@kropaske
What type/series is the Sofar inverter?
1 string panel with Y splitter to both (dual) mppt, it looks like your inverter can parallel MPPT mode, can you share a photo of PV monitoring of both mppt from the inverter. Thanks

Reply to Optimum setup of 2 strings on Solis RHI hybrid inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock