Discuss Options for running cable to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at how to run a supply from a customer's CU to garage (distance from house to garage approx. 3-4ft. A path separates the two. The customer doesn't want the path being dug up and SWA being laid beneath, neither do they wish for the cable to be overhead...

I'm thinking of disc-cutting a section of path and inserting a concrete (or similar) cable trough - see CONCRETE CABLE TROUGH, CABLE TROUGHING, DUCT, ANDERTON CONCRETE CABLE TROUGHS, CABLE DUCT - https://www.cablejoints.co.uk/power-products/cable-trough-concrete for an idea (not actual, I suspect ;-)) and then using a cable such as
H07RN-F Cable | Eland Cables - https://www.elandcables.com/cables/h07rn-f-bs-en-50525-2-21-flexible-rubber-cable#range that can be used in permanently wet environments. Alternatively, a drainage channel with clear markings at at either end specifying the use (although I'm not so keen on this).

I'm starting to run out of ideas...

Thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

Looking at how to run a supply from a customer's CU to garage (distance from house to garage approx. 3-4ft. A path separates the two. The customer doesn't want the path being dug up and SWA being laid beneath, neither do they wish for the cable to be overhead...

I'm thinking of disc-cutting a section of path and inserting a concrete (or similar) cable trough - see CONCRETE CABLE TROUGH, CABLE TROUGHING, DUCT, ANDERTON CONCRETE CABLE TROUGHS, CABLE DUCT - https://www.cablejoints.co.uk/power-products/cable-trough-concrete for an idea (not actual, I suspect ;-)) and then using a cable such as
H07RN-F Cable | Eland Cables - https://www.elandcables.com/cables/h07rn-f-bs-en-50525-2-21-flexible-rubber-cable#range that can be used in permanently wet environments. Alternatively, a drainage channel with clear markings at at either end specifying the use (although I'm not so keen on this).

I'm starting to run out of ideas...

Thoughts appreciated.
Your Customer, bit of a dreamer is he? if you are going to use a concrete saw and cut a channel, then as it's only about 4 foot why not bury the cable in the trench? Not aimed at you Mate, but Jeez some people, anyway why would I insult a fellow Bathonian?

Your Customer, bit of a dreamer is he? if you are going to use a concrete saw and cut a channel, then as it's only about 4 foot why not bury the cable in the trench? Not aimed at you Mate, but Jeez some people, anyway why would I insult a fellow Bathonian?

Fair point - referring to Reg. 522.8.10 - ..."Buried cables, conduits and ducts shall be at a sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonable foreseeable disturbance of the ground". What's your take on "sufficient depth"?

Fair point - referring to Reg. 522.8.10 - ..."Buried cables, conduits and ducts shall be at a sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonable foreseeable disturbance of the ground". What's your take on "sufficient depth"?
What ever the BS 7671 says on the subject.

Bearing in mind it won't have traffic going over it and won't be at risk from a gardener's spade then I would say you could afford it be a bit shallower depth than a worst case example.

Bearing in mind it won't have traffic going over it and won't be at risk from a gardener's spade then I would say you could afford it be a bit shallower depth than a worst case example.
Yeah you're right Mate, I know what I would do, but then the other Pedants would start throwing accusations of not knowing what I was doing at me, so I'll keep stum, Nah Cut a slab of the path up as carefully as you can, dig some of the earth up as deep as you can, lay the cable in, spoil back in the trench followed by the carefully removed still in one piece concrete slab, jobs a good un.

Tell your customer you are armed with screwdrivers and not a magic wand. Either dig it or hang it high.
I have a wand Mate, works wonders, if you have the touch, willing to sell to the right Wizard offer over a ton

what's the construction of the path? most can be dug/lifted/replaced/repaired. tel, customer if he's don't want it under or over, get a wireless socket from amazon.

Well its a case of telling the customer that if they do not want a very expensive bill for cabling being run all around the house and perimeter of the garden to eventually reach the garage then its either buried or overhead.
Depending on the path construction, if you cut a channel out say 2 or 3 inches then use the right sds bit you could then get a decent depth. its not ideal but, the customer might be amiable to a narrow channel if you sketched it out in chalk for them! I did this once and when they saw how small the repaired piece would be were happy to continue. you can buy one of the repair kits for concrete, tarmac etc if needed to make good. They often have images of you ripping up the garden like street workers do in the roads!

By the way @Soulcraft Electric I saw your van last week when over Saltford on my way to Waitrose for my lunch, like the full graphics / wrap you put on it. Really stands out.

Waitrose for lunch, the haters will be out especially with their Tesco £3 meal deals........
I had sushi for lunch from the Waitrose in centre of Bath today!! Sat in parade gardens over looking Pulteney Bridge and finished it off with a nice ice cream, then went back to work for an hour to look a bit busy and justify the amount on the invoice! its hard work changing light fittings for led ones!
Best meal deals are Marks and Spencers as i get 20% off due to family working there.

I had soft shell crab and a couple of Jack Daniels........

You have family that work in a shop, pfffft I am disappointed in you.

Reply to Options for running cable to garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net