Discuss Ordered new breaker and want to make sure it matches the current breaker in the breaker box that needs replacing. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I ordered the exact breaker that is in the breaker box and they sent me this one. I want to verify that it is compatible with one in the breaker box. I took a picture of each. Thanks in advanced the company won't answer their phone so I'm kind of stuck until I find out!

Ordered new breaker and want to make sure it matches the current breaker in the breaker box that needs replacing. IMG_20190922_140622534 - EletriciansForums.net Ordered new breaker and want to make sure it matches the current breaker in the breaker box that needs replacing. IMG_20190927_134055156 - EletriciansForums.net

I ordered the exact breaker that is in the breaker box and they sent me this one. I want to verify that it is compatible with one in the breaker box. I took a picture of each. Thanks in advanced the company won't answer their phone so I'm kind of stuck until I find out!
@ryansteeldavi yes that will fit but what you bought was a single pole 1 inch breaker. The breakers I looked at in the panel was one 1/2 inch breakers which means take that one back and buy a slim line or 1/2 inch breaker or what ever call them. They make them so you can have 2 loads in place of a standard breaker
[automerge]1569611114[/automerge]

View attachment 52643 View attachment 52644
[automerge]1569611430[/automerge]

That looks like a GE breaker go to Home Depot who sell them all day and show them these pictures but since both breakers are off pull out that breaker and take it with you CUT OFF BOTH BREAKERS before you remove it

Last edited:

Take the old breaker with you it might be one breaker with 2 breaker switches

So I could be looking for a breaker with two switches instead of the original one switch?
[automerge]1569620802[/automerge]
Are they're specific numbers or a code on the breaker I should be looking for?
Yes and whatever the amperage
[automerge]1569622541[/automerge]
Check the stapes behind the breaker like horizontal par parallel
[automerge]1569622640[/automerge]
[automerge]1569622541[/automerge]

Check the stapes behind the breaker like horizontal par parallel
It’s probably vertical staves in back of breaker

No I still haven't been able to locate a copy of it at home Depot does anyone know which numbers specifically I should be looking at. I'm trying to find a match to the original in the box but I can't find one online or in store. Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing. But I'm going based off numbers in the front

What’s the brand name like GE, OR Square-D or some other name

So what the man at home Depot just told me is that I have the right one it's just a different brand. Is this correct? The original one in the box is from 2001 and I read it's hard to find them nowadays. This is the same exact size and style same amps except this says 1 pole j-969 the original says sr-100
[automerge]1569630391[/automerge]

I'm not sure of the brand of the original but the new one I have is eaton
[automerge]1569630592[/automerge]

So the original is T&B a product of Challenger. When they were around I guess

So what the man at home Depot just told me is that I have the right one it's just a different brand. Is this correct? The original one in the box is from 2001 and I read it's hard to find them nowadays. This is the same exact size and style same amps except this says 1 pole j-969 the original says sr-100
[automerge]1569630391[/automerge]

I'm not sure of the brand of the original but the new one I have is eaton
Due to company’s going out of business breakers are interchangeable and it sounds to me like you have the right breaker put it in and let me know please
[automerge]1569630822[/automerge]
Due to company’s going out of business breakers are interchangeable and it sounds to me like you have the right breaker put it in and let me know please
I’m assuming it had 2 screws use like the one you are replacing.

[automerge]1569630822[/automerge]

I’m assuming it had 2 screws use like the one you are replacing.

Thank you! I'm going to do it now I'll get back to you with results.

T&B made breakers that were UL classified to be used in competitive panels, the Eaton BR, C, breaker pictured is also UL classified to be used in competitive makes, the T&B breakers are no longer made. The UL listed/UL classified situation can be a pain, & Eaton makes classified breakers to fit other makes, plus Siemens & Eaton both make a UL classified breakers to fit some Square D QO loadcenters, but just because a breaker fits does not mean it can be installed, there needs to be paperwork proving that it is OK to use, which makes the whole situation clear as mud.

GE twin breakers cannot be used in any panel other then GE, due to their unique design.

T&B made breakers that were UL classified to be used in competitive panels, the Eaton BR, C, breaker pictured is also UL classified to be used in competitive makes, the T&B breakers are no longer made. The UL listed/UL classified situation can be a pain, & Eaton makes classified breakers to fit other makes, plus Siemens & Eaton both make a UL classified breakers to fit some Square D QO loadcenters, but just because a breaker fits does not mean it can be installed, there needs to be paperwork proving that it is OK to use, which makes the whole situation clear as mud.

GE twin breakers cannot be used in any panel other then GE, due to their unique design.
T&B no longer make breakers but the UL listed replacement breaker for T&B is Eaton

T&B no longer make breakers but the UL listed replacement breaker for T&B is Eaton
No aftermarket breaker is UL listed, only OEM is listed, the Eaton product is UL classified to be used in some competitive panels. The replacement breakers for Zinsco, FPE, & ITE Pushmatic, that are carried at Home Depot, & Lowes, are UL classified replacements.

No aftermarket breaker is UL listed, only OEM is listed, the Eaton product is UL classified to be used in some competitive panels. The replacement breakers for Zinsco, FPE, & ITE Pushmatic, that are carried at Home Depot, & Lowes, are UL classified replacements.
Ok Norcal as long as it works. You take FPE out of business, never heard of and ITE not sure about. I done the research and it said Eaton was compatible. Good luck
[automerge]1575068475[/automerge]
Ok Norcal as long as it works. You take FPE out of business, never heard of and ITE not sure about. I done the research and it said Eaton was compatible. Good luck

I’ve never in 33 years iv never heard of Zinsco
[automerge]1575069634[/automerge]

NorCal let me guess the person at Home Depot told you that information and he is not an electrician

Last edited:

[automerge]1575069634[/automerge]-

Zinsco/Sylvania was used regionally, they were from LA originally, so were used in tract homes & apartment bldgs where cheap was valued, also Zinsco bolt-on breakers were popular in nursing homes but the bolt-on breakers were not the issue the plug in breakers are.
It was Zinsco, then GTE Sylvania, then became Challenger after GTE sold them, I call Eaton BR, "Zinsco II" since the BR line has Zinsco heritage, and they are garbage.

NorCal let me guess the person at Home Depot told you that information and he is not an electrician
HD is not the place to get information, other then where a certain item is, even that is hit & miss.

I was at HD to get a tool & checked the Zinsco replacements & they were ETL classified not UL, but ETL is cheaper for listing and a NRTL, Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory, as is CSA, & FM.

Reply to Ordered new breaker and want to make sure it matches the current breaker in the breaker box that needs replacing. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock