Discuss out buildings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
This has been rattling around in my head for some time, I have read the guide in the sticky section about exporting etc,so a building outside the equipotential zone should not have the earth exported, right ?, and a spike (s) should be used, but, what about the armour this should be terminated as norm but not connected to the parent earth ? but should it be connected at the slave end to the spike, Now I have seen in the past a spike at both ends the SWA armour terminated and spiked before entry to the parent building and the L & N brought in to the parent CU and thought mmm novel but does it comply? any thoughts anyone!
Pict

This has been rattling around in my head for some time, I have read the guide in the sticky section about exporting etc,so a building outside the equipotential zone should not have the earth exported, right ?, and a spike (s) should be used, but, what about the armour this should be terminated as norm but not connected to the parent earth ? but should it be connected at the slave end to the spike, Now I have seen in the past a spike at both ends the SWA armour terminated and spiked before entry to the parent building and the L & N brought in to the parent CU and thought mmm novel but does it comply? any thoughts anyone!
Pict

Where was that in the guide?

The building would need to be brought within the equipotential zone or provided with an earth electrode, the suppliers earth being isolated at the load end of the distribution circuit.

Pict

A TT with 2 spikes, that is not exporting and earth but perhaps tieing down to rods.

IQ You know I have I think mentall blocked the exporting thing as I have just re-read the guide and despite reading it over and over again I completley blanked the bonding conductor informatation, word blind or what !so in effect the armour will suffice as long as it complies with table 54H, sometimes the answer is right in front of you, despite having used this pratice in the past I have no idea why I was second guessing myself,
Pict

IQ You know I have I think mentall blocked the exporting thing as I have just re-read the guide and despite reading it over and over again I completley blanked the bonding conductor informatation, word blind or what !so in effect the armour will suffice as long as it complies with table 54H, sometimes the answer is right in front of you, despite having used this pratice in the past I have no idea why I was second guessing myself,
Pict

It's a topic that generates more questions and rumours than anything I've ever come across but if you just look at the basic component parts and the applicable regulations on earthing & bonding then all becomes clear.

In the vast majority of cases, using the suppliers earth is perfectly compliant but it can get expensive to meet the combined cpc/main protective bonding criteria so each case needs to be evaluated.

Reply to out buildings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net