Discuss Out of curiosity.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Here is a picky of a new build "green" home near where I live. What I do like is how the PV panels are built into the roof.

Out of curiosity.... PV Roof - EletriciansForums.net

Is this something that could be done to an existing roof that is being "extended" and would have roofers/scaffolding/need to move tiles on the job?

Curious only at this stage.

Thanks

You saying they are really solar panels designed to look like the real slate, now thats impressive, shame they didn't match the original with them to blend in better.

I suppose the issue is that slates and solar panels will age differently. Even if they look similar when they are installed they will start to look different after only a few months.

I have looked at that sort of solution a few times and never got the numbers to work. They cost an arm and a leg, even taking into account not buying slates, and because they are built in they get hotter and are less efficient.

What a great install. Glad to see some new build PV that looks good, and isn't a token effort! Solar Slate ltd do something similar, I would not be able to tell from those pic's what manufacturer this is though...
It's still all very expensive v's normal PV at the moment...

Personally I hate the bolt on look, but I could live with those.

Even if they don't fade to match in the future, at least it can be seen that the house owner / landlord is making a good effort.

The extra costs have probably been factored into the total package, i.e. making the difference between whether they sell or not at this time.

They do look nice, even factoring the saved slate they are **** expensive, we costed them for a new build job last summer, client went with traditional panels in the end (They would have cost more that twice the price).

However, get then start to be made in a chinese factory, and who knows, same price as cod and chips next week :)

redland also do a system for more standard tiles rather than slate. Obviously the colouir match is a bit off though!!

I was thinking of going this route and did a lot of research on it because I much preferred the look too. However the sheer inefficiency of such panels compared to bolt on the roof panels just put me off. Solar panels definitely seem to benefit from as much cooling as they can get.

We are a partner of Solar Century and complete installs for them in Scotland. The Solar Slates are really nice to look at but as already mentioned they cost more and are less efficient. We have lots of inquiries about them but once people see the difference in price compared to on-roof most go for on-roof rather than solar slate.

Tom

Romag manufacture a product like this as well, as other folks have said - very expensive, and then there's Solar Slate which is, aesthetically, even more convincing but even more expensive. We priced up a Solar Slate system, for an installation on a commercial property in a conservation area, last year and it worked out at four times the price of an on-roof system - customer would never recover the cost of the system in the life of the FiT agreement.

Reply to Out of curiosity.... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock