Discuss Outbuilding appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pig

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
Currently replacing all wiring and the CU in an outbuilding with a new Metal Clad fully wired with SWA. There is currently a tumble dryer and fridge freezer plugged into the same double socket which forms part of a 3 socket ring circuit. My plan was to use a spare way on the CU to have these appliances on an independent circuit. In your opinion, is it acceptable to have both appliances each having their own 1 gang socket on 1 circuit or is it best to have each on a dedicated circuit?

Many thanks.

If they are near each other then just plug them both in to a double socket.

Why would you need to complicate a simple shed with dedicated circuits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a very big shed and it's having a 10 way Metal CU installed so I was just thinking it might have been better to install them on a dedicated circuit seeing as there are 3 ways unused. I have been told having the two appliances in the same socket is a bad idea due to it being 13 amps but others say it's fine because the fridge freezer will hardly kick in. Thanks.

My bathroom and utility are all off a 13A FCU. Only supplies two lots of led lights, extractor and a double socket with washing machine and dryer plugged in. It works just fine and have never had to change a fuse etc. Had a brief look behind the face plates when our washer was replaced and nothing charred or otherwise defective. It should ideally be changed to a better set up and one day I will when I have time.

But for the loading you have especially with cyclical items, as you point out, such as fridges, it should be fine. Do it if you want and if it's easy enough to do so, but I wouldn't worry about it myself.

It's a very big shed and it's having a 10 way Metal CU installed so I was just thinking it might have been better to install them on a dedicated circuit seeing as there are 3 ways unused. I have been told having the two appliances in the same socket is a bad idea due to it being 13 amps but others say it's fine because the fridge freezer will hardly kick in. Thanks.

Big? It sounds like it's getting an electrical installation bigger than the average family house needs!

What do you mean by due to it being 13 amps?

Have you actually looked at the power ratings of the appliances?
A tumble dryer is going to be a couple of kW and a freezer maybe a few hundred W

Haha yes I have the tumble dryer is 2.5Kw and the fridge freezer is about 300w I think, measured with a power meter. I do tend to overthink most things :dozey:

Reply to Outbuilding appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net