Discuss Outdoor Building Power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

antix_v2

It's been a while since doing any form of installation so I thought I may ask here for clarification especially with new regs......

Detached shed/building approx. 50m from house CU. Need to run 13A sockets and lights in it. TN-CS/TNS supply

Is it best to...

A) Take from MCB, then SWA down to RCD protected garage board with localised earth rod.
B) Take from RCD protected way to garage unit with/without RCD
C) As B but with earth rod also
D) Answer not above

Any help appreciated. I think I'll stick to commercial lighting... :)

A) is allowable
B) is allowable if there are no extraneous conductive parts in the remote building or if those parts are bonded back to the MET.
C) is allowable but it would be a nuisance to reset an RCD in the house (that has taken out other circuits)
D) this is possibly your best choice if there are no extraneous conductive parts in the building and so can do A without an earth rod.

It's an ex chicken shed; now storage/garden type shed. But it does have metal in the fabric of the frame; it's not just a timber garden type unit.

It's an ex chicken shed; now storage/garden type shed. But it does have metal in the fabric of the frame; it's not just a timber garden type unit.
Is you supply TNC-S or TNS. Metal work, generally has to be embedded in the ground to be extraneous, but test would confirm either way.

In my understanding of the definition, the metal is bolted/fixed into the ground (concrete base) therefore extraneous.

So it looks like I'll need to use a local rod and ensure the metal frame is bonded.

Any further advances???

Extraneous.

So, SWA from MCB, with NO connection to MET at CU, then RCD garage board with rod at shed???

Will that provide the RCD required for regs between CU and shed, or would that only RCD the shed itself?
Re my post #5, qualify what supply you have?

Last edited:
Did you have a test result for the suspected extraneous metal work? You'll have to decided whether to export your TNC-S supply or not to your shed. Any extraneous metal work may have an impact on your decision.

If the metal work is indeed extraneous and you've carried out a test to confirm this then you could extend the equipotential zone to the out building and bond the metal work. You could to this by running a separate bonding conductor, sizing it correctly by bearing in mind the earthing arrangement is tncs and it would also have to comply to the minimum csa for direct burial due to corrosion etc. The other/easier option Imo would be to use a 3core SWA and size it appropriately so the CPC could act as as a combined bonding/circuit protective conductor.

Last edited:
Did you have a test result for the suspected extraneous metal work? You'll have to decided whether to export your TNC-S supply or not to your shed. Any extraneous metal work may have an impact on your decision.

You're not exporting anything, just extending the equipotential zone.

Extraneous.

So, SWA from MCB, with NO connection to MET at CU, then RCD garage board with rod at shed???

Will that provide the RCD required for regs between CU and shed, or would that only RCD the shed itself?

No, to create a Seperate TT earth the armour must be connected to the earthing system of the installation it is fed from and must meet the requirements of a cpc (or have a core used as a cpc connected) this then would be isolated at the load end with a plastic gland/heat shrink etc and a separate earthing system create by use of multiple properly installed earth rods.

You say to-may-toes and I say to-mah-toes. Ohh, how tiresome.

You said 'exporting the TN-C-S supply'

I said 'extending the equipotential zone'

I wasn't being flippant like your reply, just simply pointing out the error.

Last edited:

Reply to Outdoor Building Power in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net