Discuss Outdoor LED strip... Colour changing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I've got a garden lighting job to do in Feb, a long way a way I know. The company I am doing it for, (garden lighting designer) usually only design very simple 12v garden lighting systems, simple on and off. However this time they have a job for a designer who has asked for colour changing led strip run underneath each raised decked flower bed and steps, 4 beds and alone one large step.

I am fine for the waterproof drivers e.t.c, it is the colour changing or how to that is difficult. Usually with LED strip indoors there is an rgb controller that changes the colour for every strip and that is all of my exposure to them at the moment. However this time there will be 5 strips all around a 3m distance from each other and no more than 5m in length, that require colour changing. They want this all from 1 remote so with one press of the button the colour will change in all the strips. The controls have to be hidden and obviously waterproof.

I have spoken to different suppliers about amps and common controls, but I wondered if any of you guys had done something similar, and how you went about the controls e.t.c. It is a decked area so I could hide the controls underneath in a waterproof enclosure with access e.t.c. However I need something reliable that will work via remote and control all lights.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

In the middle of a lighting job at the min colour changing ground lights. Collingwood will design for you this is todays pic not finished yet so don't judge just

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389204213462.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 96
I'm old school. Sangamo = bomb proof. But to be honest there is a digital controler low level closer to the lighting which changes the colours for special occasions such as Christmas and remembrance day as this installation is at a war memorial. Been an on going job for a while.

Yeah there still around. I pretty much guarantee the lights will pack up long before the timer week. Because it's a war memorial there isn't really much budget for ongoing maintenance so they've gone for reliable over looks. But the lights are really smart and have a min 18000 hour life. Should last a few years.

Tom - what kind of budget are we talking - Cheap and cheerful, sensible, or money no object? Various ways of cracking this.

4 core dc wire from each strip to a location where a controller will be, and a controller with rating enough to run all strips all together.

Amlu but it's the colour changing that he needs so a little more than a controller required. For example in the set up in doing you would need. An rgbox a dmx1 and a ir2 if he wanted to use it by remote which to be fair is the easiest set up to wire rather than the colour changing controller. The only problem with the remote is it has no memory so will revert to colour changing mode every time it is powered down.

Take a look at this: ChromaStrip 24V

Each strip (IP66) just wires simply back to a control box which contains an all in one solution. In turn, the box just gets controlled with a simple DMX controller which could be wired or wireless. Up to 12 strips per box, so there's flexibility for the future.

Take a look at this: ChromaStrip 24V

Each strip (IP66) just wires simply back to a control box which contains an all in one solution. In turn, the box just gets controlled with a simple DMX controller which could be wired or wireless. Up to 12 strips per box, so there's flexibility for the future.

They look alright and very simple. If that's what your looking for it looks good. The remit I had was soft change between colours. I think that's why they were chosen.

They look alright and very simple. If that's what your looking for it looks good. The remit I had was soft change between colours. I think that's why they were chosen.

They'll do whatever you want, it's all in how you control them. It's stage lighting technology turned into architectural, I know the company well.

http://www.ac-et.com/prices/pulsar-lighting.pdf is one stockist of many. Like I say, this is stage lighting technology, you won't find it in any wholesalers, but it's rather useful in situations like this. It will also need a simple DMX controller - for a wired one allow say £200, for a wireless one... £6-700.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think the budget is relatively tight say around £300 mark. I don't think £700 would be viable. I will ring the designer tomorrow and find out the budget I have exactly to play with.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think the budget is relatively tight say around £300 mark. I don't think £700 would be viable. I will ring the designer tomorrow and find out the budget I have exactly to play with.

LEDHut sell IP rated RGB strip & tape which will do the job for that kind of money, just a little more fiddly to hang it all together.

Reply to Outdoor LED strip... Colour changing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net