Discuss Outdoor lighting around sand arena in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a complete noob when it comes to electrical wiring but here we go. I need some advice, we have installed four street lights around our outdoor sand arena for pony riding. The lights are the standard street lights, they have 2.5 wiring in them already so would it be ok to go from this to 1.5 armoured cable to connect them all together and run a supply from our house?
Thanks in advance
Marshall

There is a bit more to this than just connecting them up, the required cable size depends on meeting the max volt drop for lighting, and the overcurrent protection for the circuit. Plus armoured cable needs properly glanding at each end, with the armour earthed. Unless you are very familiar with these things, I'd suggest you get an electrician to take a look.

There are many things to take into consideration Marshall, for example how far are the lights from the source of supply, volt drop is a factor.
How is the SWA installed? how will the installation be installed, what type f supply do you have? I think your best option will be to employ an Electrician to design and install these lights, from your description either children or members of the public will be involved in Pony riding, so will need to have things installed properly, and tested by a skilled Electrician.
Could cost you a bit more than originally envisioned, but it needs to be done in accordance with the relevant rules and regulations.
Good luck, ride em Cowboy.

There's a lot more too it than just throwing a cable in and connecting it up. You need to consider length etc and also that you will need brass plates for the cutout to gland an armour cable into you can probably get these at queens island in Belfast but id advise you got an electrician to do it

To the OP...google the accepted size of an RCD to limit a human being's chance of a fatal charge...then google how much it takes, to decease a dobbin ...:eek:

It may assist in accepting some on site advice :)

Why the Mods here allow these threads outside of the DIY forum is beyond me.

Reply to Outdoor lighting around sand arena in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net