Discuss Outdoor lighting install in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post and novice DIY currently installing outdoor lamps. Had new extension built, builders have left twin and earth cables taped off at the ends. All except in one position where it's looped back into the wall (see pic). Directly behind the wall on the inside is the three way switch for all exterior lights. Am I missing something here? If I cut the twin and earth, which end do I connect, and do I put other end in terminal block to make safe? Confused. Any guidance gratefully received. I've installed all other external lamps and all fine. Outdoor lighting install IMG_20190930_142003 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
It's most likely that they left a loop and just carried the cable on to the next light fitting.
If this is the case then you would need to cut it and connect both ends to the light fitting.

It's also possible that they just pushed the cut end of the cable back into the wall to protect it/keep it neat. So you need to confirm which it is before proceeding.

If it’s is indeed just a unbroken loop then it’s a straight cut and join , or is one end poke back in the hole ?
If it's a loop do as DD says, as a Caveat ensure that any joints that you make are contained in a suitably IP rated enclosure, and the joints are accessible for maintenance purposes. If it's and end of a cable isolate remove the unwanted piece of cable and terminate the other end of the cable the same as f it were a loop, for further usage.

As above then it sounds like a case of cutting it and using those to wire the light up in series?

(I'm not a sparky but I'm picking up this stuff just from reading the threads!! So listen to them not me! :) )

I tried pulling the cable out from both ends just in case it was recessed. There was a bit of play but no end of a cable found.
You need a bit more investigation Steeveecee, try and trace where the cable goes before you discard it, other wise you could compound the issue.

You need a bit more investigation Steeveecee, try and trace where the cable goes before you discard it, other wise you could compound the issue.
and where it come from. seriously, might be best to contact a Glaswegian spark. think there's a few Scots on the forum. some of them even speak English. :p :p :p

As above then it sounds like a case of cutting it and using those to wire the light up in series?

(I'm not a sparky but I'm picking up this stuff just from reading the threads!! So listen to them not me! :) )

Yes you've got the general idea right but to be technically correct they would be connected in parallel rather than series.

Thanks folks, think I've got a handle now thanks to all advice!

I'm pretty sure a switch would be useful for you though? Unless you're rigging it similar to a bog? Short flush/push down to turn on, long flush/push down and hold to turn off?

?

Reply to Outdoor lighting install in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock