Discuss Outdoor lights and sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been asked to install some outdoor sockets and lights for a decking area where a hot tub is being put in.
There is a garage which has a 2.5mm armoured cable into a fused spur with the load side feed garage lights on a 3a fuse and the supply side feeding some garage sockets.
I was thinking of replacing the fused spur with a consumer unit in the garage and taking a supply out approx 5m in armoured cable to the decking area to supply a double outdoor socket and 2 lots of led lights.
Just looking for some advice on the best way to do this as haven’t done any outdoor installations before. Obviously the sockets and light switches will be ip rated for outdoors.
Thanks in advance.

Can you clarify how may outdoor sockets are needed. You say 'outside sockets' in the first sentence and then 'a double socket' later on.
What will be plugged into the socket/s?
Where does the 2.5mm SWA that is feeding the garage wire back to?

Can you clarify how may outdoor sockets are needed. You say 'outside sockets' in the first sentence and then 'a double socket' later on.
What will be plugged into the socket/s?
Where does the 2.5mm SWA that is feeding the garage wire back to?
There will be one or two double sockets which will have just the hot tub plugged in and maybe a radio or chargers.
The SWA feeding the garage is run from the main house CU on a 20A MCB.

Is that on a RCD protected circuit?

The sockets outside obviously should be protected, but ideally on a separate RCD from the circuits in the rest of the house just to reduce nuisance tripping and/or results of faults outdoors.

How long is the 2.5mm SWA cable?

The MCB from the house is protected by a 30mA RCD.
The SWA from the house is approximately 15 metres.
I could always swap the house 20A MCB for an RCBO.

why, when it's already on a RCD????, better to have the SWA on a non-RCD MCB and RCD protection at the garage.

and plug-in hot tubs are generally 2.2 kW and have a built in 10mA RCD. think you may be a bit out of your depth on this.

There will be one or two double sockets which will have just the hot tub plugged in and maybe a radio or chargers.
What ratting is the hot tub?

why, when it's already on a RCD????, better to have the SWA on a non-RCD MCB and RCD protection at the garage.

and plug-in hot tubs are generally 2.2 kW and have a built in 10mA RCD. think you may be a bit out of your depth on this.
What ratting is the hot tub?
Hot tub is 2kW
[automerge]1591361653[/automerge]

The sockets are only really for the hot tub which is 2kW there won’t be anything else that will draw any significant current.
Was going to run a 2.5mm SWA from the garage on a 16A MCB with 30mA RCD protection and then connect to an adaptable box with a fused spur to run the lights off and then connect the sockets in 2.5mm.

Last edited:
Your least-risk option is to put in the hot tub socket and lights as you suggest, run the SWA back to the garage, and then use a suitable junction box to terminate the SWA using the appropriate gland, then connect a short length of 1.5mm flex and a 13A plug to connect to the existing sockets there. Pull the plug for complete isolation!

If you are really only looking at 2kW and some LED lighting then a 13A plug should be fine.

But allow sufficient SWA cable for later if you do find that a garage CU is justified, I don't know the full horrors of Part P but that might be notifiable work in which case it is cheaper to get a sparky in who can do the notification for you..

You'll need to scrutinise section 7 (pools) as there are strict regulations on the location of sockets, junction boxes and current using equipment such as lights in the vicinity of a pool

Hi, would that still apply as this is one of the lazy spa ones just comes with a 13A plug on it?
Debatable if it is not a fixed pool installation, but if I was installing equipment (and signing the EIC) having been informed by the client that a pool is to be located I would install to the special location regulations. Regardless of plug in or fixed the increased shock hazard the regulations are intended to address are exactly the same.

Thanks for all the replies. Decided to extend the radial circuit from the garage using the SWA connected into an ip66 socket and then looped onto 2 ip66 20a switches feeding 2 single ip66 sockets for the outdoor leds to plug into. And also a 1p66 sfs to supply 2 230v up lighters.

lazyspa hot tubs come with a fairly long lead (about 3m, so socket is not adjacent to tub.) incorporating a 10mA RCD and ending in a BS1363 plug (top for those who insist on mis-terminology).

Reply to Outdoor lights and sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock