• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Outdoor lights not working in the Australian Electrician Advice forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have 2 double outdoor led lights on a dimmer. Over xmas the lights flickered then went out. I thought one of the wires came loose, i checked all connections, all ok. Will a faulty dimmer cause this? or is the power board likely to be the problem? A bit hard to get a sparky at this time of year. thanks in advance

OP
D
Reaction score
It is unlikely that a dimmer is suitable for your outside lights. (Unless they were designed specifically to work together)
try a normal switch.
Thanks James, the switch is inside, with the outdoor lights under cover on the patio. I managed to fix the problem by bypassing the dimmer. For some reason the dimmer was wired to be hot even when the light was switched off.

Reaction score
I have 2 double outdoor led lights on a dimmer. Over xmas the lights flickered then went out. I thought one of the wires came loose, i checked all connections, all ok. Will a faulty dimmer cause this? or is the power board likely to be the problem? A bit hard to get a sparky at this time of year. thanks in advance
there must be somthing wrong with LED chip or driver . if the driver is external, you can buy a new one and change it. if not. May need to buy a new light

Reply to Outdoor lights not working in the Australian Electrician Advice forum area at ElectriciansForums.net