Discuss Outdoor lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jaco13579

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all I'm in the process of finishing wiring in outdoor lights.
First thing is there was already lights outside the garage so I replaced these last year and add a light sensor. Which were feed from the lights mcb on the non rcd side of the board. Which have been working. Now I'm installing
2 more and a outside socket in the back garden. And that's where it starts. I understand from the regs that all outdoor lights/sockets to come off the rcd side of the board. So I got another mcb for the lights and sockets to feed from the rcd side wired it all up including the 2 existing on the garage (socket not wired in yet) and it strips the rcd, I've checked all the connections and gone over the circuit several times and is all wired up right. I even made a simple light circuit and that still trips the rcd. But if I wore it to the lighting circuit of the house on the non rcd side it works fine. I understand the rcd has a limit and knowing this I switched off the sockets mcb on rcd side and it still trips the rcd. so I'm at a lose to what the cause of it is any help would be great

TL;DR
Outdoor lights trip rcb, but works fine when wired to non rcd side
Possible the circuit you have extended has crossed neutrals with another lighting circuit maybe through the landing two way switching.

there will be 2 neutral busbars, one for RCD side and one for the non-RCD side.
Thank you I'll check . I did a electrical course about 18 years ago but never followed it as a career. So I've always checked the regs online when doing and work at home and thank you again if that's it
Possible the circuit you have extended has crossed neutrals with another lighting circuit maybe through the landing two way switching.
Post a pic of the board @Jaco13579 cos it certainly sounds like wrong neutral bar.....one way or another as per @westward10 post ?
I'll post one up tomorrow but guess itthat is the reason as I didnt move the neutral and when i tried the basic lighting circuit i put it in the same place lol

Hi all I'm in the process of finishing wiring in outdoor lights.
First thing is there was already lights outside the garage so I replaced these last year and add a light sensor. Which were feed from the lights mcb on the non rcd side of the board. Which have been working. Now I'm installing
2 more and a outside socket in the back garden. And that's where it starts. I understand from the regs that all outdoor lights/sockets to come off the rcd side of the board. So I got another mcb for the lights and sockets to feed from the rcd side wired it all up including the 2 existing on the garage (socket not wired in yet) and it strips the rcd, I've checked all the connections and gone over the circuit several times and is all wired up right. I even made a simple light circuit and that still trips the rcd. But if I wore it to the lighting circuit of the house on the non rcd side it works fine. I understand the rcd has a limit and knowing this I switched off the sockets mcb on rcd side and it still trips the rcd. so I'm at a lose to what the cause of it is any help would be great

like others have said... crossed neutral or quite possibly a fault in some wiring or on the lights you’ve installed being N-E which only trips the RCD. However, the crosses neutral or wrong neutral bar is more likely
[automerge]1595368513[/automerge]

Reply to Outdoor lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net