Discuss Outdoor music event in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jeremy

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all! My local pub is having an outdoor music event this Saturday for charity. Chatting with the Landlady I discovered that they were going to power it all with a few extension leads!! Through a friend in the events industry I've managed to borrow an outdoor distribution box, RCD protected 16A 60309s which will be plugged into a 63A 3 phase socket in the kitchen, 25m remote from origin which is TNS. My main concern is earthing/ bonding. The stage is metal but sitting on wooden boards, so I believe it should be bonded. Should this be taken to the origin? or the kitchen? As there is a chance of touching grass and stage simultaneously, should I rod it as well to join everything up? I understand that BS7909 covers this type of situation, but I don't have a copy, and am only really getting involved because I don't want to see this event fail. Any thoughts, advice? ( apart from "walk away". I don't want to walk away from the place that sells me beer!)

Get your book out and read through Part 7.
Elements of all of these could be involved: 704/708/711/717, with 711 probably being the most appropriate.
711.411.3.1.2 covers the bonding, TN-S supply should not need a TT spike being put in, but, you are the one with the local knowledge, so it is down to you to judge if it is needed.

As above....I have done several small outdoor stages for 'battle of the bands' type events and applied section 711. May not be the only regs appropriate but if you stick to the requirements of 711 you will be covered.
In particular note 711.410.3.4 (Max 300ma S type RCD at origin of cable supplying stand). and 711.411.3.1.2.(bonding/earthing of metal staging)

Thanks for the replies, chaps! I did refer to chapter 7, but it indicated that 7909 was the standard to follow. If you are confident that 7671 will suffice, I'll accept your advice, and responsibility as well! The main supply socket will be protected by 100mA S type. An acoustic gig with lots of different coloured candles is probably the easiest way! Am I introducing danger by rodding and bonding the stage? Thanks again!

7909 is the applicable standard, but it largely draws from the basic principles of 7671 anyway. Given the environment, style and duration I wouldn't sweat it, tbh. Just make sure that all final socket outlets are 30mA RCD protected. If there's a bonding point on the rubber box distro (depends) then use it to bond the stage, but if it were me I wouldn't worry too much. And I've forgotten how many stages I've powered.

A drummer!.... don't they hang around musicians?
A drummer, tired of being ridiculed by his peers, decides to learn to play some 'real' musical instruments. He goes into a music shop and says "I'll take that red trumpet over there, and that accordion". The shop assistant looks at him a bit funny, and replies "OK, you can have the fire extinguisher but the radiator's got to stay."

Wanted
Drummer, must have A own kit, B transport and C the ability to count to four
Failing C above, the ability to count to two twice would be considered.

Reply to Outdoor music event in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net