Discuss Outdoor Receptacles not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mdtony

DIY
Reaction score
Bought this house in August 2019. Home inspector noted that the outdoor receptacles are connected to the GFI in one of the bathrooms. Not ideal, but both were working at the time. Over the winter, I replaced every receptacle and light switch in my home. It is legal in my town for the home owner to do this type of work. Spring is here and both outdoor receptacles don't have any power going to the boxes. ( Checked with a pen meter). Every receptacle and light switch in the house works fine. No tripped GFI plugs and no tripped breakers.

How can I diagnose this? what are some of the things I can do before calling an electrician?
Thank you in advance

Bought this house in August 2019. Home inspector noted that the outdoor receptacles are connected to the GFI in one of the bathrooms. Not ideal, but both were working at the time. Over the winter, I replaced every receptacle and light switch in my home. It is legal in my town for the home owner to do this type of work. Spring is here and both outdoor receptacles don't have any power going to the boxes. ( Checked with a pen meter). Every receptacle and light switch in the house works fine. No tripped GFI plugs and no tripped breakers.

How can I diagnose this? what are some of the things I can do before calling an electrician?
Thank you in advance
MDtony is it possible that the GFCI as you said is tied into the outside receptacles could be tripped or just gone bad
[automerge]1588803018[/automerge]
MDtony is it possible that the GFCI as you said is tied into the outside receptacles could be tripped or just gone bad
Since you changed all receptacles and light switch is it possible that you got some wiring crossed up

First thing I would say is you can't really trust those non-contact indicators, but if you also find a plug-in appliance is not working then it is pretty convincing.

Is the bathroom one that (apparently) is tied to it still working?

Obvious things to look for before calling in a sparky as signs of external damage to any route the cables might take, but also to see if anyone put in an isolator switch that toggles the outdoor power on/off.

[automerge]1588803018[/automerge]

Since you changed all receptacles and light switch is it possible that you got some wiring crossed up

To the first response: gfci in the bathroom is good and I have tested it. Thank you.

When you say crossed up, if I did wouldn't that cause a recepticle or switch not to operate properly? Can you think of a scenario where a recepticle is wired incorrectly, but functional?
I assume there is chain of outlets from bathroom to outdoor that is controlled from the panel, if I identify it I can reopen and check each one. Thank you
[automerge]1588803440[/automerge]
First thing I would say is you can't really trust those non-contact indicators, but if you also find a plug-in appliance is not working then it is pretty convincing.

Is the bathroom one that (apparently) is tied to it still working?

Obvious things to look for before calling in a sparky as signs of external damage to any route the cables might take, but also to see if anyone put in an isolator switch that toggles the outdoor power on/off.
Yea looked for a switch, but these are not switched outlets

Not necessarily at the outlets, I have seen systems here where outdoor stuff was provided with a switch inside.
Not necessarily at the outlets, I have seen systems here where outdoor stuff was provided with a switch inside.
Right, I opened the outlets in the closest room, they are all wired correctly. I also tried turning on all the light switches in the house to see if that provides power, but no luck.

Right, I opened the outlets in the closest room, they are all wired correctly. I also tried turning on all the light switches in the house to see if that provides power, but no luck.
I have found receptacles that was using the ground for a neutral. You said everything was working until you changed everything so there had to be a wire that’s not been wired correctly or didn’t get hooked up at all

I have found receptacles that was using the ground for a neutral. You said everything was working until you changed everything so there had to be a wire that’s not been wired correctly or didn’t get hooked up at all
I think you are right, so I can go and check each outlet in the house for loose wires, but besides that I don't know what to look for since everything else is working as it should. Also any tips on how to figure out which outlets make up the chain from bathroom outlet to outside? That bathroom is on the opposite side of the house ?

Did you ever check they really were on the GFCI for the bathroom?

I guess it is possible that they were wired in to an existing outlet and when they were replaced that cable is no longer making connection. Usually with the appropriate test gear you could check for which cables are still connected to the outlets of the live (hot), neutral, and earth (ground) wires but I guess you don't have that.

I think you are right, so I can go and check each outlet in the house for loose wires, but besides that I don't know what to look for since everything else is working as it should. Also any tips on how to figure out which outlets make up the chain from bathroom outlet to outside? That bathroom is on the opposite side of the house ?
Your non contact voltage tester probably would help you figure this out and good luck my friend

Reply to Outdoor Receptacles not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net